• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun in Alamo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update. My dad wrote a clause in the contract stating if the gun is removed from display it is to be returned to him or his heirs. So, after much discussion and waiting for their lawyer, they officially said the rifle is ours and is scheduling a time for us to come get it! So incredible! It is verified to not be a reproduction. A model 2 Brown Bess marked Dublin with bayonet. I believe they discontinued these in 1770? Also a G.W. Geiger powder horn brought from Pennsylvania in 1800 I believe. Some original French amber flints approximately 200 years old, found in an old French flint factory.

You are pretty lucky. Most museums will make no promises or guarantees that a donated artifact will be placed on display or remain on display. Additionally, most museums only have about 10% of their collections on display at any given time. Exhibits and galleries change, and you simply can't have them all on display. Artifacts also need to be removed from time to time for planned and unplanned conservation/preservation.

During my career if a family member was upset that a donated artifact was not on display, we would politely explain that. Sometimes they requested that the artifact be returned. If there was a signed Deed of Gift it was pretty cut and dry and that it was now museum property.

Sounds like your Dad was forward thinking and that was a good provision to place in that donation. Enjoy it.

Any suggestions for gun case or sleeve I should use to transport this rifle? I do not know total length but barrel is 42”.

Bring a nice thick blanket to wrap her in, A moving blanket like U-haul uses would be fine. Do not clean it or do anything to it until it is home. Then come back here for advice on how to take care of it. P.S. Pictures please, Stu

Bring a nice thick blanket to wrap her in, A moving blanket like U-haul uses would be fine. Do not clean it or do anything to it until it is home. Then come back here for advice on how to take care of it. P.S. Pictures please, Stu

Nooooo ! ! Wrap it in a blanket and bring it to my house so I can clean & test-fire it for you... :ghostly:

You were fortunate in that you ran in to someone that dug out the actual document and was honest with you as a counter-party. That doesn't always happen! You were lucky. And, congratulations!

I would make up a gun display case featuring the Mission itself, and the flag of the Texas Republic. See if you can get some dirt from the court yard, or other such artifacts.

Congratulations. My mother wanted to donate a hand made quilt to the DAR museum several years ago. It was made during the Civil War. We had it looked at by the curator of the Chicago Art Museum. They went nuts. It seems that My great great aunt when she sewed it used some of the first printed fabric in America. The squares were less than 1/2" and of course all hand sewn. It had never been used of laundered, Which was huge to the folks in Chicago.
Once the DAR museum got it, it was theirs. It is what my mother wanted to do. They did have a release that my parents signed.
It has never been displayed that we know of,but it stored,(we hope) properly and can make it out to display someday.

Yeah, that isn't exactly a prescription for confidence. It is what it is, they may well have sold it. Seems to me I read somewhere Phil Collins, a drummer for a rock band, has a pretty stout collection of Alamo artifacts.

You mean THE rock band. Genesis is worth much more than such a casual mention - being one of the all-time great sellers and concert performers of the last forty-something years.

Update. My dad wrote a clause in the contract stating if the gun is removed from display it is to be returned to him or his heirs. So, after much discussion and waiting for their lawyer, they officially said the rifle is ours and is scheduling a time for us to come get it! So incredible! It is verified to not be a reproduction. A model 2 Brown Bess marked Dublin with bayonet. I believe they discontinued these in 1770? Also a G.W. Geiger powder horn brought from Pennsylvania in 1800 I believe. Some original French amber flints approximately 200 years old, found in an old French flint factory.
That is fantastic news! Congratulations! PLEASE take a lot of pictures during the recovery trip and the trip home. That will become part of the official history of the gun and added to your family history.

I had an old Springfield Blackpowder 45/70 trapdoor for decades. I sent pics and serial number to Springfield Research Service for the heck of it. I live in Austin where Camp Mabry is located. So happens the research by miracles was issued to Colonel Mabry's unit in 1898 when on route to fight in the Spanish American war in Cuba! I contacted the Camp Mabry museum director and he could not believe it. The museum encompasses all Texas military involvement since 1836 and is massive, well worth the visit!!! They had Colonel Mabry's uniform and associated accruements including a trap door which was only for display and not relative in any way to the Cuban war. Story shorter: I donated the rifle and now it is in a sealed glass case within Mabry's display. I am so proud to have had that honor:
729AA792-A16D-4731-89FD-A1A32FE822F0.jpeg
84CF785B-8F04-438F-8B30-1BFD1552F327.jpegBFBF8E76-F815-42D2-82B4-DF0F66D7AD2B.jpeg16F00AB2-D2D6-469C-99BA-7EF65C5C2833.jpeg3E2E9206-436D-409C-A614-8312401E83D7.png

Back