• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Barrel Turned From Axle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharps1863

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found this on Gun Broker, it is listed a Smoothbore .58 cal trade Musket. It appears the barrel has been made from a Car or Truck Axle. It still has the splines on the end to mate to the gear. Never seen this before. :idunno: :idunno:
pix231855279-1.jpg

I think the splines are for a bayonet :youcrazy: :blah:
For what ever reason the person chose an axle for a barrel for material we will never know.
However the axle would have high tensile strength, and good tool steel, if it has been annealed, you could not get better barrel steel.
It is better than dom steel tubing.
Old Ford

if that is an axle, i would'nt be scared to shoot it. axle's are made of hardend steel, some are made of forged steel. that must have been fun to drill a hole though that one!

I saw an article in muzzle blasts a few years back where a guy made a rifle barrel from a pto shaft from an International tractor and painted the stock Red.

Could be 1040 or 1045 steel should be plenty good for a barrel if done properly

As far as I'm concerned the type of steel doesn't matter.

To me, what little I can see of that gun is just plain butt ugly and I wouldn't have it in my house. :(

looks kinda goofy, in my opinion ... i've never seen a system where a bayonet fits into that kind of spline ... i just think is sort of a frankenshooter ...

i wouldn't want one, but i'd defend to the death your right to have it if such a gadget makes you happy.

It looks like the sort of thing a determined first timer builds in a garage guided only by rough notion of what they're doing. The furniture is held on with nails. I wonder how, or if, it was drilled. It would make an interesting wall hanger. I admire the effort. I wouldn't shoot it.

I doubt this is an axle, looks more like a drive shaft from a tractor with the bore already there. I don't think any one would take the time to try and drill an axle that may be very hard.

John Taylor said:
I doubt this is an axle, looks more like a drive shaft from a tractor with the bore already there. I don't think any one would take the time to try and drill an axle that may be very hard.
Agree...and it might be the splines were left there intentionally for their uniqueness, a possible conversation starter, badge of accomplishment.
So many are afraid to step outside the box and try something different that I give the builder A+ for ingenuity...

There is/was an olde "Anrachists Survival" type book out there by ghost writer Ragnar Benson that has instructions to turn an axle into a 50 cal.
I beleive the instruction was to leave the splines at the muzzle for addition of flash/noise suppressors. Illegal as the dickens, but nuntheless a great study for the backyard machinist.
Maybe the gent that made this has the book?
Kinda like making a Hawk head or Knife out of a railroad spike and leaving part of as the original spike, some find it a neat thing to do.

I wouldn't care how ugly it is. I would absolutely have a great time with something like that.

The 'upcycleing' thing is really big in some of the circles I am in and this musket is a perfect example of upcycleing.

I have looked at numerous pieces of metal over the years and wondered if it could be bored out and used for a gun.

Seems I am not alone in those musings. Good to see someone actually put their nutty idea to work.

It's not the barrel steel that worries me. Go to the auction and look at the female nipple threads in the bolster and then tell me you'd shoot it.

pix153097558.jpg

Back