• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Group in the Charlotte area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for some fellow flintlock shooters in the Charlotte area. I live west of Charlotte in Gaston County. I do Civil War reenacting and am wanting to find some people to shoot flint with and get into period camping and woods walks etc. any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I live north of Charlotte and there is no such animal in the area. The French Broad Longrifles are west of Asheville and the Lafayette Longrifles are near Fuqua Verena. Both of these clubs hold monthly shoots and rendezvous. In October The Southeastern National rendezvous is held near Yadkinville NC. this is a week of camping and shooting.

Pmringer said:
I am looking for some fellow flintlock shooters in the Charlotte area. I live west of Charlotte in Gaston County. I do Civil War reenacting and am wanting to find some people to shoot flint with and get into period camping and woods walks etc. any info would be appreciated.

Let's look at this kind of differently. You aren't looking for a shooting club, which apparently doesn't exist in your neck of the woods. Instead you want to find some flinters and/or trekkers in your area.
How about contacting the bigger BP supply houses and even the NMLRA, Honorable Company of Horners, and Contemporary Longrifle Association. Explain your quest, and ask if you could send a letter through them to any of their customers or members in your area code, or in the ZIP codes around you. Thus you would have the people who should know those folks you are looking for, doing the looking for you. Black powder sellers might also be of help, if they would be willing and federally allowed to the same thing for you. But they could look through their sales of 4Fg powder, which would REALLY narrow down your search.

There are also some web sites which are operated by trekkers and re-enactors, which may fill you bill in an evening.

excellent reply.....and very helpful...I noticed
many members have trouble staying on the subject.

Thanks. I have seen the information for the Asheville shoot. Their range is only an hour or so away so they may be worth looking into.

There really is nothing around this area. In fact, there is only one public outdoor shooting range within an hour drive of here and it is only open for four hours each Saturday. and is limited to 100 yards.

I already checked the NMLRA resources since I am a member. I will check the trekking forums since I'd ultimately like to do that.

Well, I'm relatively new to the scene, but I don't think there's anything official like that around here. Mainly reenactors, I'd say. I don't really know too many in CW circles though, 'cept maybe Matt Waisner over at Latta Plantation, but that's more living history.

I live in Cleveland County. There are a couple of guys in the County who shoot flinters, including me, but I have not seen them for some time. There is a group of guys who have participated in reenactment events in the area but at this point I cannot remember what they call themselves. I gave up rendezvous and reenacting some time ago but still like to shoot. I will see what I can uncover and post again if I get more information.

grzrob said:
I live north of Charlotte and there is no such animal in the area. The French Broad Longrifles are west of Asheville and the Lafayette Longrifles are near Fuqua Verena. Both of these clubs hold monthly shoots and rendezvous. In October The Southeastern National rendezvous is held near Yadkinville NC. this is a week of camping and shooting.

Grizz...What is the name of that group from Gaston County that shows up here and there in the area? I have seen them at Cowpens and once at a street festival in Kings Mountain - the town, not the park. Their name has something to do with a small river in the Gaston County area but right now I am just blocked as to what it is.

I know it is not muzzleloading but just wanted to let you know I was at the Quigley in Forsyth, MT weekend before last. Great fun.

I appreciate it. I am squared away with CW and run a regional authentic mess. If you happen to find anything out about the guys or anyone doing 18th century trekking, let me know. Thanks again.

The group has "South Fork" in their name but I still cannot remember the whole name. I may have a card around here somewhere and if I find it I will post again or send you a PM. I know how frustrating it can be to come to an area and try to find persons who share your interests and would like to help if I can.

I'm joining this conversation about 8 months late. If I was able to set up a shooting match in the Waxhaw area would you come? I think there are more black powder shooters in the Charlotte area then we realize and it would be great to get them on the range a few times a year and see if we can't grow a NMLRA club or at least a fun match. Let me know what you think and let's see if we can make some smoke in the Queen City.

I am new to the traditional side of muzzleloading and also looking for shooting opportunities with the same folks. I live in th Shelby area and would appreciate a shout out if you get something going.

Back