• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Grocery shoppin" with my .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm kind of under the impression that a 36 rifle is overkill for squirrel. If it's not, could yall tell me what's the best powder charge if I don't want to tear em all to shreads?

thanks!

I use 25 grains of powder most often. A pre-lubed patch from Basspro and a 000 buckshot pellet from Hornady. The patches are good for three shots each and the balls come five pounds for 10$. My gun will shoot just about anything you load it with pretty well with one exception. It is sensitive about patch material and thickness. You need a good supply of what you are sighting in with. Head shots and ribcage shots. Ribcage shots can be hard to skin out if the squirrel pulls in half. One nice thing. If you hit them, you don't have to search for them. They will be right where you hit them!

Nothing wrong with a .36 on squirrels. I load with 22 grains of 3f Goex and the same Hornady ball mentioned above. I even use a .40 on squirrel.

CS

Yep,headshots.25 gr.Goex 3f.Home cast .350 ball,wlamart pillowticking.What's this about Hornady ooo buck shot.What diameter is that?Best regards,J.A.

OOO Buckshot is .350 from Hornady. Five pounds was 9.99 last time I bought one. Shoots good out of most guns.

I use a 36 for squirrels and have since the late 70's. My load is 20 grs. of Fffg and a home cast .350 ball. I try for head shots only so some days I do pretty good and other days I don't. I really don't like body shots on small game with a 36 or a 32. It isn't that they aren't effective, I don't like the mess they make of things. I like a nice, clean, complete carcass.

Vic

I've used a 32, 36, and 45 caliber on squirrels. All do about the same damage with body shots.

All I use now is a smoothbore with #4 shot for small game. :grin:

Back