• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grip cap inlet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a question on inletting a grip cap. I've got about 2/3 of the butt section inlet. The tang is still straight but I think I'm getting to the point of needing to bend it to fit the stock. Should I reverse draft the tip of the tang to do this? First time building from scratch here, figured I'd get some advice before going further. Thanks
grip cap inlet 2.jpg
grip cap inlet 3.jpg
grip cap inlet 4.jpg
grip cap inlet.jpg

Not sure if my question made any sense. I am trying to find out how to inlet and attach the tang portion of the buttcap. I am assuming if I just bend the tang and inlet it, that it will not stay in place. I am thinking that filing a reverse draft on the tip would be the best way to go. Having never done this before I am looking to see if there is a better way to do it.

I'm far from a good builder, but at this point you have a decent primary fit,
But your a few steps ahead of your self.
I'd stop in-letting that piece and shape your rough blank into the grip size and shape you want before trying to finalize the fit of the cap.
That cap fit and shape should come much latter in the build when you can "see" how the cap will fit flush with your grip shape.

I'm far from a good builder, but at this point you have a decent primary fit,
But your a few steps ahead of your self.
I'd stop in-letting that piece and shape your rough blank into the grip size and shape you want before trying to finalize the fit of the cap.
That cap fit and shape should come much latter in the build when you can "see" how the cap will fit flush with your grip shape.
OK thank you for the advice. I thought the grip cap would have pre set my dimensions for the grip size and shape so that is why I started there. But like I said, this is my first so most likely I am going about it wrong. I have books for rifles but no references for pistols. Do you have any suggestions on how to inlet the tang section so that it will stay in place? I am assuming that if only bent to match the contour of the stock that it will not be a good fit, just not sure how to attach it securely. Thanks again.

The grip cap is cosmetic to function, most are held in place with a single screw from the bottom, and were fit to the grip,, after the grip was formed.
Thank's for checking in here,
, there are a bunch of folks here that will help along the way.
You may find that the grip cap needs to be tipped forward or back a bit,, your a long ways away from a final fitting with that piece.
;)

When you're digging a hole like that for the grip cap, it's almost impossible to get it tight at all the edges. You won't be able to get a final and tight fit until a bunch of the wood is removed which still needs to come off. My assessment is that you are close enough now to start taking the stock "out of the square". Shape it to the point it's at least 90% of your final dimension, and then you can re visit the grip cap issue. As said above, unlike a butt plate, it's not a critical piece that defines fit.

When you're digging a hole like that for the grip cap, it's almost impossible to get it tight at all the edges. You won't be able to get a final and tight fit until a bunch of the wood is removed which still needs to come off. My assessment is that you are close enough now to start taking the stock "out of the square". Shape it to the point it's at least 90% of your final dimension, and then you can re visit the grip cap issue. As said above, unlike a butt plate, it's not a critical piece that defines fit.
Thank you for the info. I will proceed as advised by you and Necchi then. Sure I'll be back with more rookie questions.

Back