• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grinding humps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd share with ya'll my method of makin those humpy flints, un-humpy :v
Dremel tool= 49 bucks, long time ago.
Clamp= $1.99 @ Big Lots..
Diamond grinding wheels= $3.99 fer 2 at Harbor Freight..
Results= PRICELESS!!!! :thumbsup:
HPIM2321.jpg

Thanks for that! I just got my order of mizzy wheels delivered, but hadn't thought thru how to hold those itty-bitty flints without grinding the knuckle off my hand. I have a few of them spring clamps laying around... now just have to remember where... :hmm:

It didn't take me long to realize there had to a better way to hold those things :hmm: . Them diamond wheels will alter yer finger prints in a hurry... :shocked2:
Jim

Birddog6 sent me home last year with some humpy flints that he had put a dob of epoxy putty on the back of to smooth them out. Sort of like plastering up a spot on the wall.

Cheers

J

Just a word of caution, that silica dust is very harmful,(as in it can kill ya). I would do it with a lot of ventilation, like a shop vac to pull the dust away. We don't need to lose Forum members thru unsafe practices. Bill

Awww shucks....flints........I thought it was gonna' be about some kinda' wild dance wid' wimin!

Great idea, my fingers thanks you!

I have done them 3 dif ways.
1: Glue a lil wedge of wood behind the hump to make the top flat, but found this time too consuming.

2: Mizzy wheel & grind the tops off. This works good & and takes about 6-8 wheels to go thru a bag of bulk 100 flints. I put the shop vac nozzle about 2" from the discharge of the grinding debris so it goes right in the vacume. Plus turn on the shop air filter to get any missed dust. Otherwise I would do it outside with a fan blowing it away from me.

3: Go to NAPA and get a tube of Sonic Weld. (Very similar to JBWeld only dries dark gray/black) This is a in a roll like a tootsie roll. You cut off 1/2, nead it well & then take lil bits of it & pack the back of the hump of the flint so it is level across the top. Very easy to do, the dark gray matches the flint color & you don't notice it, inexpensive as a tube of this epoxy is reasonable & would do hundreds of flints, & it will save ya Lots of aggravation on the humped flints making them all easily useable..
:thumbsup:

Back