• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green River Knife project today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have a knife they pair with their gun? I always carry this old Green River skinner with my Hawken Rifle, it’s an awesome whitetail processing knife. Today I decided to dress it up a little!

Attachments

• IMG_9272.jpeg
    IMG_9272.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9273.jpeg
    IMG_9273.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9274.jpeg
    IMG_9274.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9275.jpeg
    IMG_9275.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9276.jpeg
    IMG_9276.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FF1B79ED-E2FB-41D3-99AC-47AC51F32F4F.jpeg
    FF1B79ED-E2FB-41D3-99AC-47AC51F32F4F.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DE2003B1-5DCD-4842-AC41-875DFAF47251.jpeg
    DE2003B1-5DCD-4842-AC41-875DFAF47251.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 0
Caleb, Banjoman, I like your knives. I have some Russell blades around here somewhere, -- a ripper, two big butchers and a sheep, or "legging" knife. Used to have a buffalo skinner, too. I wonder where it is. I added that legging knife after reading comments by a guy who managed a bison ranch for Ted Turner saying he thought that particular blade was the best of the lot for dressing a bison.
This one:
https://www.crazycrow.com/green-river-knife-blades/green-river-knife-blade-5.25in-sheep-skinner

Caleb, Banjoman, I like your knives. I have some Russell blades around here somewhere, -- a ripper, two big butchers and a sheep, or "legging" knife. Used to have a buffalo skinner, too. I wonder where it is. I added that legging knife after reading comments by a guy who managed a bison ranch for Ted Turner saying he thought that particular blade was the best of the lot for dressing a bison.
This one:
https://www.crazycrow.com/green-river-knife-blades/green-river-knife-blade-5.25in-sheep-skinner
Awesome!

Anyone have a knife they pair with their gun? I always carry this old Green River skinner with my Hawken Rifle, it’s an awesome whitetail processing knife. Today I decided to dress it up a little!
I would only point out that an 1834 knife would not have cutlers rivets, nor brass rivets of any kind. They would be of iron and would be more like pins with peened heads.

Wick is of course, correct. If you look at images of originals with full tangs, the scales are usually held to the tang by a pattern of five pins, two at the bottom, one in the middle and two at the top. Those big, bright brass cutlers rivets shout "FARB" from quite a ways away -- and I admit to having used them myself before I knew better. 😄

Wick is of course, correct. If you look at images of originals with full tangs, the scales are usually held to the tang by a pattern of five pins, two at the bottom, one in the middle and two at the top. Those big, bright brass cutlers rivets shout "FARB" from quite a ways away -- and I admit to having used them myself before I knew better. 😄
Me too Bill. Way back. Generally, you won't often find more than 3 small diameter pins on any pre1800 common working knives, no guards on any but daggers, little to no brass in use except for swords. I repeat, in general, there seems to always be a rarity to pop up somewhere.

Nice. I've got one I bought new in the nineties that I've never used. Looks very generic. Thanks to you, I may do a little carving on mine. Will have to make a new sheath for it as well. It came with leather but it is about the cheapest and thinnest leather I've ever seen. Mine isn't an original, just a cheap copy, but I do love the blade design.

Back