• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great week for cap and ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a steel frame Pietta 1858 Remington when it was on sale at Cabelas a few months ago. Finally got a chance to shoot it last week. The pistol range was down for maintenance so I had to use a general purpose range where the most appropriate targets were some 6” steel plates at 30 yards. After a couple of sighting shots the next 24 plates went down, with authority. My wife was spotting and said most of the shots hit the same area on the plates. I’ve only used Colt style C&B (except the ROA) and I’m thrilled at the Remington’s performance. Never cared for the grip/balance on the 1858 compared to the Colts but I can’t complain about the results.

A few observations. This gun preferred a 25 gr. charge of FFFG, a home made lubed felt wad and a .454 ball. The Cash snail shaped capper didn’t fit (too wide for the slots) so I had to cap by hand. The size 11 caps worked okay but were a little loose. I’ll try size 10 caps next time.

NOW, I told you that so I could tell you this.

I was at a local gun store to get some more .454 round ball for the Remington. I made the mistake of looking in the consignment case and there it was: a blued, 7.5” barrel, adjustable sights Ruger Old Army. It’s a match to my stainless ROA. I asked to see it and the clerk brought it out with the fitted case it was sitting on. The thing is unfired. No line on the cylinder, no rust, the barrel and chambers are pristine as are the nipples. The Ruger website says it was made in 1981. The case contained a Colt style flask, a spare set of nipples, adjustable powder measure, brass bullet mold (all unused), and some other accoutrements.

A real surprise was a container of Eley Bros. percussion caps with a green label stating they were for the Colt patent belt and pocket revolver. It’s an old style label and matches an antique version. I learned that some of the containers were made for Colt signature series in the 1980s and 1990s for a limited run.

The setup looks like a gift was put together for someone to include all the items needed to shoot the ROA. Even the balls were .457, which is what most ROAs require. For some reason the gear was never used.

$425.00 out the door. I would have paid that for an unfired ROA alone. Now I have 2 reasons to get back to the range.

Yeah, a really good week for cap and ball.

Jeff

Did you ever hear the old expression, "Fell in and came out smelling like a rose"?

That sounds like a description of what happened to you. :)

Zonie,

Ain't it the truth! I don't post every time I get a new toy but a deal like this made me want to crow a little. Also, to remind folks that there are bargains out there even if you have to luck into them. :wink:

Jeff

Back