• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains .54 Caliber / Investarm Gemmer Hawken Rifle - Hawken Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnorth

32 Cal
Reaction score
Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, but what's the difference between the makers? I am really wanting to start hunting with a PRB and do lots of recreational shooting. I have found both these guns in stock on 2 different sites, one in 50 and one in 54..I just wanna make sure I get a good quality rifle.Pros and cons....Thank you all for your input.

What's the twist rate of the barrels? Some of the 50's, have twist rate that's not good for a ball, better suited for sabots. For ball ammo, look for a 1/45 or higher ( bigger the second number the better for a ball). Less than 1/45, better for sabot. I shot a 50 cal.. Here in Georgia, we don't get "big" big game. If your hunting out west, Mule Deer, Elk, etc... you may want to go to .54 cal.

Makers........ Price call tell you all you need. The cheaper the rifle, well.... You didn't mention if your looking at traditional or in line (modern). The cheaper traditional rifle are pretty much you get what you pay for. I have a Traditions Kentucky, it shoots great but it's not something I feel will last a long time. I also have a new purchase (used) Hawken (build in the late 70's to 80's), it's build like a tank and about as heavy.

Last edited:
Thanks to tip on the Mid-South GPR, I now have a new one on the way. I sold my last one about 10 years ago and my bride is getting me this one for Christmas!

They are both basically the same rifle. I used to have the Great Plains in .54 and it was a great rifle, very well made and accurate (but heavy). I sold it only to get the funds to buy a Lancaster style .50 caliber long rifle. A friend of mine bought it and still shoots it and loves it to this day. For the price they go for, you can't go wrong.

I got my Investarm Gemmer & Clemens GPR from muzzle-loaders.com. They gave me a coupon code. Less than $600.00. Sorry about the shiny stock, Florida humidity was having the original “oil finish” coming off in my hands. So a did a little true oil. Plus, GPR Lyman peep sight due to old eyes. After about 200 shots, consistent 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards.

Attachments

• 304EB2AF-DA4D-4044-80E5-F46E6238CFAC.jpeg
    304EB2AF-DA4D-4044-80E5-F46E6238CFAC.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 57
I own two Thompson Center Hawken rifles. One in 54 and one in 50. Being that I have a choice of which I prefer, I have to say my 54 cal Renegade. I intend on gifting my .50 Hawken to my stepson as soon as he takes the possession and acquisition course. My reason for .54 preference is that it’s more than capable for any sized ungulate we see here in Alberta.

Last edited:
I will be hunting deer only
A 50 cal will kill any whitetail, blacktail,or mule deer in North America stone dead in short order. You ain’t going to be shooting them from 200 yards, but within a reasonable range it’ll be lights out in a hurry.

Last edited:
Thanks to tip on the Mid-South GPR, I now have a new one on the way. I sold my last one about 10 years ago and my bride is getting me this one for Christmas!
Please give us a review on the rifle when you get it . Particularly on the bore .

While the 50 is more than adequate for deer, the 54 will be lighter in hand if that matters. Also, the 54 is certainly not too much for deer.

If you ever decide to pursue larger game, the 54 will be a better choice and may even be required by regulations.

Latest posts

Back