• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Graf black powder accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I have learned from this thread .
1. Graf black powder is standard Goex powder with a Graf label on the can .
I have a hard time getting my head around the concept that one modern brand of powder is inherently more or less accurate than another. How would that work, what could cause it?
Haven’t commented on this thread because I have only purchased one pound of Grafs’ house brand powder (3F) made by Goex, aka Hodgdon, back when Grafs first made the supplier switch. But for what it’s worth with my limited experience with just one pound, my first observation was that their was no reference to the county of origin, no ‘Made in the USA’ on the container. May not mean anything. The second observation was that the powder in the container I received did not look like Goex samples I had. Again, this also may not mean anything. What I did find that would likely mean something, was the variation in velocity from shot to shot over a chronograph. Can’t seem to find my data, but remember the variation was significantly more that what I found with Swiss and ‘standard’ Goex, particularly with heavier charges in a 58 caliber gun. Accuracy was ok at 25 and 50 yards, but not what I was used to, expected significant accuracy variation at longer ranges, and therefore I did not bother shooting longer ranges after seeing the velocity variation. Used the stuff up in my shotguns and six sixshooters with no noted issues.

Haven’t commented on this thread because I have only purchased one pound of Grafs’ house brand powder (3F) made by Goex, aka Hodgdon, back when Grafs first made the supplier switch. But for what it’s worth with my limited experience with just one pound, my first observation was that their was no reference to the county of origin, no ‘Made in the USA’ on the container. May not mean anything. The second observation was that the powder in the container I received did not look like Goex samples I had. Again, this also may not mean anything. What I did find that would likely mean something, was the variation in velocity from shot to shot over a chronograph. Can’t seem to find my data, but remember the variation was significantly more that what I found with Swiss and ‘standard’ Goex, particularly with heavier charges in a 58 caliber gun. Accuracy was ok at 25 and 50 yards, but not what I was used to, expected significant accuracy variation at longer ranges, and therefore I did not bother shooting longer ranges after seeing the velocity variation. Used the stuff up in my shotguns and six sixshooters with no noted issues.
I would like to see the chrono results if you can find them . Do you think this can could have possibly been left over Wano or possibly a mix of Goex and
wano . l don't know how graf packages this powder . ls it packaged at the Goex plant in Graf labled cans or does Graf buy
In bulk and package it themselves. I don't know. Big variation in velocity usually = loss of accuracy.

i have found it virtually impossible to string chrono speeds with a Bp rifle. so many things change through the first ,second and later shots. Unless one completely cleans the bore/channel etc, after each shot i cant make a chrono really give me any real satisfaction. Just me.
Yes that makes perfect sense to me .

Back