• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy standard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To put it into perspective, the union requirement to join a sharpshooters regiment in the CW was a standing 5 shot group at 100 yards not to exceed 21 inches.
That was probably measured with a string from center to each shot and the 21 being the sum of the string measurements.
I expect most internet accounts of accuracy are exaggerated. Posting the best 5 shot group out of twenty fired is not a standard, but a statistical anomaly.
I agree. And not unusual to have a discounted "flyer" as well. When we hunt, flyers count! 😂

I don't hunt so all shooting is at targets on the club rifle range. I don't shoot at 100 yards very often, in fact it's rare when I do. About the best I can average for 5 shots at 100 yds is between 3" - 4". At 50 yards my groups depended on what shooting possition I fired from. Off the bench average maybe 1.5" and average near double that offhand. Aging eyes can no longer guarantee that precision. There are good days I could brag about but every year that goes by results in fewer and fewer.

I'm not a paper puncher either except to get my sights adjusted. For hunting we like to tape a clay pigeon on a string and hang it from a line. Then practice off hand trying to hit it. Windy days makes it so much more fun.
Theirs a big difference between muzzleloaders an modern guns for MY accuracy standards. But everyone has their own standards an that's great.

Last edited:
The heavy, scoped target rifles of the mid-late 1800's were [and some still are] capable of shooting excellent 10 shot groups.

Latest posts

Back