• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee thunder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot my new GPR again today, pretty fair accuracy with 70gr 3F. I have been having a little trouble with ignition though-seems like the hammer strikes the nipple too high, also if the set trigger doesn't always cause the cap to fire. Second attempt to fire or use the front trigger alone will fire the cap.Any suggestions?

It has nothing to do with the trigger. Replace your nipple with a spit fire and you shouldn't have anymore problems

Josh

Have the same rifle, switch the nipple out as has been said and use cci magnum caps.[url] rmcsports.com[/url] sells a nipple that is coned on both sides, they work real well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yankee Thunder said:
Second attempt to fire or use the front trigger alone will fire the cap.Any suggestions?

Your nipple is too big around. First hammer blow is pushing onto the nipple and second setting it off. Get the new nipple or take yours and put it in a hand drill threads first and spin it with a file on the cone of the nipple till you take it down enough for the nipple to slide all the way on and it should now work fine.

Sounds like a new nipple will solve the problem, any other problem areas to fix when setting up a new GPR?

The others are right. I changed the nipple on my GPR to a spit fire from Dixie about 20+ years ago and no problem since.

DITTO ON thinning the diameter of the nipple down a bit. I also bevel the contact edges a bit so the cap will fit flush without too much pressure. The stock GPR nipples just seem to be a bit oversized diameter for #11 caps in my experience.

The other thing to do is check the hammer fall. If its not smooth and crisp, try loosening the lock bolt just a tad to see if that helps.

I must be one of the lucky few. So far no problem with my nipples...Will get the sugested one though just in case.

Back