• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gpr frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know if the frizzen on a left hand GPR is the same as the one on the right hand GPR? also it seems the frizzen spring is to heavy, is there any way of lightening the tension? Newbe & just getting started in a rock gun, thanks in advance.

Frizzen springs can be "lightened" by sanding them thinner. I had three flintlocks that "ate" flints. I lightened the frizzen springs after hearing about it hear on the forum and all three work much beter. :idunno:

reloader4410 said:
A shooting buddy has several flintlocks & every one has a lighter frizzen feel that is it is alot easier to open or close.

If he has several flintlock rifles, he is the one who can advise on how to adjust the springs, or if needed at all. Know that a lot of experienced shooters oppose the idea of doing any modification to springs and advise it is better to replace. I say try the modification. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work you buy a spring. Nothing lost by trying.

Just ordered a new spring in case I screw one up.Anyone know were to buy a gpr left hand frizzen? looked everywere on the net no luck. IM one that likes to keep a supply of spare parts on hand. Thanks

You get a lot of answers from people that have no idea what they are talking about. Mostly because they haven't done, only read about it. :shocked2:
I have a GPR lock in front of me and I see no reason why the frizzen is not interchangeable with a right or left hand lock. :hmm: But I have never tried to put one on a left hand lock.
As to weakening the frizzen spring, I don't recommend it. But if you just have to, don't try and “thin” the spring. Instead try to narrow it and go slow. Very slow. Remember too strong is better than too weak. :thumbsup:

There is an alternate route to a similar effect. Shortening the lug on the bottom of the frizzen, and moving the tip over point to the rear will cause the frizen to snap open soooner with less pressure.

While you are at it, examine the fit of the pan cover part of the frizzen to the pan. A little judicious spotting and stoning can tip the face of the frizzen back a few degrees and get a better flint to frizzen angle of attack.

White Fox

I am a newbie too rock guns to but have been shooting all my life. My suggestion on the spring tension of the Frizzen. Shoot it first and see if the tension causes any issues, rapid flint wear or flint shattering, poor ignition as a result of poor sparking or late Frizzen opening (only one of the many causes of poor ignition).

I have quickly learned that like all other shooting sports, there are a lot of variables. What might be too heavy a spring rate on one lock works excellent on another because of the rest of the components and set up. Best way to know for sure is shoot it and see what it does. You can always start working on it IF it shows problems.

My GPR Frizzen had a parting line that was digging into the Frizzen Spring. I recommend checking the condition of the contact surfaces and make them as smooth as possible for a start.

Back