• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR .54 or.... ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad1043

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So I sold my .54 percussion because I wanted a flinter. I'm leaning towards a GPR .54 Kit. If it were you, would you go with a GPR or is there a better rifle suggestion out there. I'm not set on the GPR, but I don't want to spend a ton extra... Let me know...

For the money it's hard to beat, both for function and ease of build. I certainly like the results, but that's a taste thing.

GPR kits are very close to a finished "in the white" rifle. This is a very good place to start for a 1st time builder. It's basically a little sanding, filing, wood and metal finishing. It's relatively easy to get a good looking piece with little experience. Other kits from TOW, Petatonica, etc will test your building skills to a MUCH greater degree. Inlettling, shaping, drilling, carving, taping, and problem solving will all come into play. Not for the timid or weak of heart!

With a little work you can have a very good rifle with the Lyman GPR.
Removing all the silly writing/ stamping on the barrel, thinning and shaping the stock, new front sight ( home made is better, similar to original rifles) greatly improves the appearance of your finished rifle.
Polishing and cleaning the lock and set triggers will greatly improve your shooting scores.
The Lyman GPR has to be the greatest bargain in guns.
And the .54 cal. will take most North American game.
What more can you ask for?
Old Ford

For the price a GPR can't be beat. I had a flint GPR and still do have one in percussion. Very accurate shooters.

For a more PC and better quality rifle, and for a couple hundred $ more, you might check into an in-the-white longrifle from Tip Curtis or others.

Depends what your definition of "spend a ton extra" is and what gun you want to end up with.

Bottom line is a GPR can be as good as anybodies rifle! Getting one to that level may be a slight challenge, though. :hmm:
They certainly don't come that way. :wink:
Best bang for the buck there is. :thumbsup:

Pulled both triggers on the lyman... Any good tips, walk thrus, or posts I should read? I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting the L&R lock and trigger upgrade.. Thoughts?

If you are already considering spending extra for upgrades, I would definitely consider giving Tip Curtis a call. I have a GPR and it is a very good gun, but it is not in the same league as what you would get from Tip Curtis. JMHO You get one of his guns in the white and you will already have the upgraded lock,triggers, wood, barrel, etc.

I can't say anything against replacing the Lyman trigger with the Davis because what is there not to like about it. The Davis is just so much better. It's a gotta do.
But the lock is a different story. You can make the Lyman lock pretty darn good. You need to replace the cock with one from a new style TC lock. This being done, the L&R lock is no better. If you just prefer the feel of “V” springs instead of coil, you need to replace it but if you just want a lock that works very well than do the TC cock. A lot cheaper too.

Do you have a part number for the cock? Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna need a bunch when I finally start the process...

The GPRs are really good rifles. Just like any other gun though, you will have to play with it a little and figure out what its preferences are. I have three of them. 2 have the TC cock on them, 1 of those really didn't need it though. The third just wouldn't spark, so I got a replacement frizzen from Lyman and it sparks better than the other two now, so who'd've thunk it? Aside from the one that needed a replacement frizzen though, the other two were perfectly serviceable and I just bought the cocks for them just to see if it would make a difference, and it barely did on one, and helped the other quite a bit. So it can't hurt to replace it when you find one.

What is the part number for the R.E. Davis Trigger I need? Where should I order it from?

chad1043 said:
Pulled both triggers on the lyman... Any good tips, walk thrus, or posts I should read? I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting the L&R lock and trigger upgrade.. Thoughts?

Buy the rifle kit, build it, learnthe rifle & use it. I had 3 dif GPR's, never had any problems with any of the three. Just polished up the locks & triggers & they worked fine for me. One I had peep sights on & shooting off sand bags on a bench it would shoot 1.5" groups consistently at 100 yards, if I did my part right. Wish I could still see that lil quarter sized dot clearly at 100 yds..... :(

Personally, I would not put any more money in it. If want to invest a tad more, call Tip and buy a rifle In-the-White & finish it. (615)654-4445

Keith Lisle

Back