• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my gun and all the "stuff", need advice.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmvet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my TVM Tulle Friday .62 / 20 ga.. Went to a local trading post today and got FFg, FFFFg powder, .600 round balls, cotton strip patches, 25# bag of #6 shot, over powder wads. I want to shoot the gun tomorrow. I have never fired a flint lock before, only percussion. I have cocked and fired the gun to see how it sparks and everything looks good. Here is what I plan to do tomorrow, please correct me if I need to do something different.

1) Planned on using 60 grains of FFg down the barrel. Local skinner already told me not to pour directly from horn or flask.

2) Will lube portion of patch strip with crisco (for lack of anything better at present)

3) Will start ball over patch, cut patch off at muzzle, and push ball down until seated firmly against powder charge.

4) Will cock hammer to full cock, move frizzen foreward, clean flash hole with pick.

5) Will pour small amt of FFFg powder in the pan (to the bottom of the flash hole, and close frizzen.

6) Will close frizzen, aim at target, and fire.

7) Assuming all is well, will recharge barrel, this time placing overpowder wad "over powder".

8) Planned on using about ( volume of 90 grains) of # 6 shot. This is where Im not sure what to do. Will an amount of shot equaling approx. 90 grains powder be about right??

9) Will tear overpowder wad in 1/4 and use it as an over shot wad.

10) cock, prime, close frizzen, and fire.

Please give my any advice, opinion, corrections you deem necessary. Your help is appreciated.

pharmvet,
Everything looks good except your powder/shot ratio. If you use a shot volume so much larger than your powder volume, your fowler will shoot even lower than it will with a balanced volume. In my experience, a 70 gr. volume setting on your measure for both powder and shot will give you a nice usable load. It will not punish you either, especially in your TVM fowler. I have handled one of these, bought by a friend of mine. It handles nicely and I can't see it as a bad kicker. A nice hunting load is the eighty grain setting for both powder and shot. That is three and a quarter dram of powder and one and one eighth ounces of shot, a good twenty gauge load. It will pulverize clay birds and clay rabbits, trust me, I know. :RO: :imo: :m2c: ::
God bless.
volatpluvia

Couple thoughts for ya... try using a thin patch and lube with water, 409, Windex, Murphy's oil soap/water, or some other type of liquid lube. I use this at the range and use the grease type for when I go hunting.
Next just tear your wad in half and use an over shot card. That thin wad is important. Also, if you're going to use a card be sure to slightly tear/cut it or poke a hole in it with your knife, they'll load easier.
Finally, for shot, I wouldn't use 90 gr of powder behind 90 grains of shot. You might be able to do it once for turkey but over time it will start to hurt and you'll start flinching. Try 65 2f, 75 #6... or what ever, you'll have to do a little work to see what shoots the best.
Just some thoughts
Chuck

The Official Slowpoke "Tip of the day" ...... Next time you're at the store buy a tin of Altoids. Save the mints if you want but what you're after it the tin they comes in. Then take a torch to the tin or throw it on the grill and burn off the paint. Wash and scrub it with steel wool. What you have left is a perfect holder for your cards and wads....
Can.jpg

Everything sounds OK so far. Just a couple of comments: First, I would suggest priming the piece with the cock (hammer) at half-cock, rather than full, just for safety reasons. The half-cock sear holds the cock much more securely. Bring it to full-cock just before you shoot. Second, I measured out some shot in my adjustable powder measure at 90 gr. and got about 1 1/4 oz. of shot. This is more than you need in a 20ga. I load my 20ga. with between 3/4 and 1 oz. of shot with great results. If you are in fact using an adj. powder measure for shot, I would set it at perphaps 70 gr. (80 gr. tops). Third, I would suggest melting down some Crisco in a pan and soaking your patch material in it. Then, lay the material on some paper towels to soak up the extra Crisco. If you do this tonight, you will have prelubed patching tomorrow, and you won't have to stand there and individually lube each patch.
Overall, it sounds like you're on the right track, so just keep reading the Forum and experimenting! Experimentation (within safe limits) is the name of the game when you start shooting muzzleloaders. I've been shooting muzzleloaders for about 6 years now, and I still learn something new every time I shoot! I'm sure there are guys here who have been shooting for 30 or 40 years, and they probably continue to learn as well! :thumbsup:
Have FUN and be SAFE! :thumbsup:

You can also prime at half cock, this way (if you are hunting) you don't have to leave it in the "ready to fire" state...

Back