• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a new Ruger Old Army today--Help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Traded for a new, unfired Ruger Old Army today. The only thing, it didn't come with an owner's manual If any of you pistoleros could give some advice it would be appreciated.

All I have done so far is try different caps on the nipples. It seems that No. 10s fit a bit more securely than 11s. Somewhere in this mess that I call home is a box of Hornady round balls (.457 I think) that should work. Also, little brother gave me some over the powder wads for .44 and .45 today.

If I use the wads do I still need to put Crisco over the ball like we used to do with the old Colt replicas? I haven't shot a cap and ball revolver in almost 25 years and can't remember all the trappin's and things I'm supposed to do.

Every bit of information anyone can offer will be appreciated.

jack

Congrats on getting a fine shootin iron. The #10 caps are correct, the .457 ball is correct, and if using wads over powder, the crisco is not needed. Enjoy! :peace:

Also, my congratulations on your find!

If you want to... you can contact Ruger and they will gladly send you a manual for your revolver.

Try a load of 30gr FFFg and see how it likes it.

Don't forget if you end up with "unused chamber space", then you need to fill that volume with corn meal to keep the ball as close to the forcing cone as possible. Better accuracy that way... but then, you probably remember that don't you???

I still put a little extra grease (very sparingly) with a small syringe around the edges of each ball/chamber. Not so much for preventing chain fire, but for keeping the fouling minimized.

BTW, Did you get Blued or Stainless Steel? Fixed or Adjustable Sights version?

Also, Pyrodex P works quite nicely in those guns.

Let us know how she does for you!

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

This one is a blued, adjustable sight model. Can't wait to see if it will shoot straight! Thanks for the help!
jack

Go to the Ruger site, you can download and print a manuel for any of their firearms. I printed the one for the OA when I was thinking of buying one, just to look it over.

Thanks for all the replies and kind words. I had tried to download the owner's manual and it wouldn't work. This evening, for some reason, it finally did!

I hope to shoot it tomorrow--depends on work and how I feel after wife and I get back from our workout. (For wedding anniversary she said we needed a membership at the YMCA to get into something called "shape.") I thought my 12 oz. curls were all I needed but apparently not.

Anyways, thanks again. As an added bonus my 19 year old daughter has taken a particular interest in the Old Army and says she wants to try it out Saturday.

Gosh, I hope she don't out shoot me.
jack

At one of our local shoots one guy was having trouble with 44/45 wads in his ROA. I gave him a package of wads made just for the ROA and no more trouble.
You can easily adjust the trigger pull by replacing the trigger spring with one from a ballpoint pen.
A 3/16" nutdriver works much better than the factory wrench for removing the nipples :hatsoff:

If she out shoots you, It just means you have taught her good. And your teenage daughter LISTENED! :applause: Thats something to be proud of!

Latest posts

Back