• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Starter Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I want to break into flintlocks, but I can't afford a long gun right now. I've been looking at the Pedersoli Harper's Ferry .58 cal, but the reviews aren't exactly encouraging. Any thoughts? Thanks

With all due respect anyone can afford one, just look for second hand. My first was a second hand one in a gun shop I found online. Didn't really want a smooth bore but it was cheap, now I love flintlock smoothies!

It is rare I disagree with Phil, but I will on this one. Don't have the first flint pistol you shoot be an expensive gun. Get something a little cheaper to get past the learning curve. If you make an expensive learning mistake would be sad to have it happen with an expensive piece.

Just sit on your money and watch the classifieds on this forum. Soon enough a good condition pistol will come around at a decent price. It isn't uncommon to see pistols in the classified section here that are unfired safe queens.

If you do decide to get a higher dollar one down the road, the beginner pistol will maintain value so long as you keep it in good condition.

Rather then looking for starter consider a good flintlock. A cheap gun of any type means you expect to have problems. Wouldn’t it be more fun to have one that works with you rather then against you?
I like the way you think Phil…doesn’t have to be uber expensive,

quality parts + quality gun = quality experience

Latest posts

Back