• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Good quality powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am looking for a good quality powder horn. Doesn’t have to be fancy as I I’m into the fur trapper era and like things good, simple, and quality. Thanks!

I have one for $50.00. sealed, waterproofed and with a brass spout with a water proof plug tip. See below.

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_202555792.jpg
    IMG_20220726_202555792.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220726_202701007.jpg
    IMG_20220726_202701007.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220726_202531853.jpg
    IMG_20220726_202531853.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
If you want an authentic representation of a fur trapper's powder horn, it's a good idea to look at surviving examples, as well as paintings from the place and time that interests you. You can start with a Google search, using "antique powder horn" as a search term, and just look at the images.

There were professional "horners" back in the day who made simple "trade" horns from cow or ox horns. A lot of people also made their own.

I don't know that there are any real advantages to a buffalo (bison) horn as opposed to one made from a domestic animal. Buffalo horns are generally black and opaque. Some cow horns can be scraped thin enough to see the powder.

Lots could be said about powder horns, and a lot of people are making and selling them. October Country makes two that I would suggest for your consideration. One is their "Frontier Powder Horn":

OC Frontier Horn.jpg

I have one. It is a first-rate combination of quality, authenticity, and value. The current price is $81.11, which is pretty good. October Country also sells one they call a "Yellowstone":

OC Yellowstone Horn.jpg

This one lists for $67.60, and I would consider it a "best buy" in today's market. It appears very similar to the Frontier horn that I have, except it has a raised ring carved at the tip instead of the octagonal spout.

Most of the lower cost horns you see now exaggerate the size of the button on the base of the horn, and skimp on the tip carving. Even plain, crude horns in the frontier days usually had some attempt at shaping the tip and either cutting a groove or carving a ring or shoulder to help keep the strap tie in position. Not always, but usually. These two horns from October Country both have very traditional staples in the butt, like many originals, and the tip carving on both is very typical of what you would have seen on the frontier. The tip plugs on both of these horns are a bit over done, though. Most of the surviving original tip plugs were very simple, and whittled out of softwood. People nowadays often insist on fiddle tuning pegs, or turned plugs like these with grooves or whatever for decoration. Even if you don't make your own horn, you can make an authentic tip plug with a pocketknife and some sandpaper, and keep the decorated plug that came with the horn in your pouch as a spare. Again, look at some originals.

One other thing is to think about which side you want to carry the horn. Depending on its amount and direction of "twist," a horn might be best suited for one side or the other.

Good luck in your quest!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
If you want an authentic representation of a fur trapper's powder horn, it's a good idea to look at surviving examples, as well as paintings from the place and time that interests you. You can start with a Google search, using "antique powder horn" as a search term, and just look at the images.

There were professional "horners" back in the day who made simple "trade" horns from cow or ox horns. A lot of people also made their own.

I don't know that there are any real advantages to a buffalo (bison) horn as opposed to one made from a domestic animal. Buffalo horns are generally black and opaque. Some cow horns can be scraped thin enough to see the powder.

Lots could be said about powder horns, and a lot of people are making and selling them. October Country makes two that I would suggest for your consideration. One is their "Frontier Powder Horn":

View attachment 152904

I have one. It is a first-rate combination of quality, authenticity, and value. The current price is $81.11, which is pretty good. October Country also sells one they call a "Yellowstone":

View attachment 152905

This one lists for $67.60, and I would consider it a "best buy" in today's market. It appears very similar to the Frontier horn that I have, except it has a raised ring carved at the tip instead of the octagonal spout.

Most of the lower cost horns you see now exaggerate the size of the button on the base of the horn, and skimp on the tip carving. Even plain, crude horns in the frontier days ususally had some attempt at shaping the tip and either cutting a groove or carving a ring or shoulder to help keep the strap tie in position. These two horns both have very traditional staples in the butt, like many originals, and the tip carving on both is very typical of what you would have seen on the frontier.

One other thing is to think about which side you want to carry the horn. Depending on its amount and direction of "twist," a horn might be best suited for one side or the other.

Good luck in your quest!

Notchy Bob
Thank you for the info. I would be carrying it on my right side. All this has been a big help!

Also, where does October country get their horns from or do they make them themselves or buy the a vendor here in the states. Wanting to make sure I buy and American made one of I can. Try to keep all my stuff American made if possible. Thanks!

Also, where does October country get their horns from or do they make them themselves or buy the a vendor here in the states. Wanting to make sure I buy and American made one of I can. Try to keep all my stuff American made if possible. Thanks!

Good question. They have a fellow who makes these horns, I think right there in Idaho. I don’t know if he is on their staff or makes horns on contract. I’m pretty sure at least some of their horns are made to order. They are good folks… You can call or email and they will answer your questions.

Notchy Bob

Good question. They have a fellow who makes these horns, I think right there in Idaho. I don’t know if he is on their staff or makes horns on contract. I’m pretty sure at least some of their horns are made to order. They are good folks… You can call or email and they will answer your questions.

Notchy Bob
My apologies. I did some more reading on their website and the frontier horn is made in the U.S.A.! I ordered one from their. Thanks again.

My apologies. I did some more reading on their website and the frontier horn is made in the U.S.A.! I ordered one from their. Thanks again.
Good! It is a very simple, traditionally-styled horn. Mine is airtight, and I’m sure yours will be as well. It should meet all of your criteria.

We’ll want to see a picture of it when you get it, y’know…

Notchy Bob

Good! It is a very simple, traditionally-styled horn. Mine is airtight, and I’m sure yours will be as well. It should meet all of your criteria.

We’ll want to see a picture of it when you get it, y’know…

Notchy Bob
Yessir. I bought one that said it was scrimshaw quality and hope to put my own touches on it. I will send pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back