• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good possibles bag?( resonable price)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi, I am looking for a good bag to use for hunting. I own a 54 T/C hawken flinter and need something to carry my "stuff" in. I am not really into the re-enactment stuff to much yet but would like to stay reasonably traditional for hunting.I have seen the nylon bags and they are not for me. Are there kits availible? I would not mind making my own if I can. I am very new to this and also need advice on horns and what ever else I need. What all do you carry into the woods for hunting? Thanks alot for any advice!

Howdy,
Check October Country, they make a nifty little kit bag, big enough to carry what you need, not so big to carry more than you want. Made out of nice, top-grain, oil tanned leather. Durable, handsome and weather resistant. Should be able to stitch it together in an evening watching the toob.

What you want to know about horns?

In my hunting pouch, I carry three speed loaders, a small powder flask, 4 extra round ball, four extra cushion wads, a few patches, a 2 oz. bottle of bore solvent, a cap tin full of bullet lube, powder measure, musket capper, spare nipple, nipple wrench, ball puller, Leatherman's Tool, a few cleaning patches, a short starter,and that's about it.

Big Smoke

well the horn i carry is 12 inches long and my bag is pretty small but it carries all my possibles i have extra patches hand forged screw driver an extra speed loader or also known as a loading block and a little tin container of grease and extra balls and lube and all your possibles and the like but i dont use a ball starter but tell us more of what you need to know and we can always help :front:

Have been looking at bags in October Country and Calico Jacks and there are some in my price range I am glad to see. You both mentioned some grease in a small tin, is bore butter alright? I will look for a small flask for my pan powder as well. The gun came with some speed loaders,patches and balls,powder and a brass powder measure as well as bore butter. Thanks for the help.

You can use cotton canvas to make a bag, it's easy to sew and if You look on the net there should be some examples to copy.Many Military units issued fabric bags before and durring the Rev.War. they go way back.I prefer leather,but the fabric is a lot easier to work for a first bag.If PC is not a big issue with You,check out garage sales and Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.If You find a heavy leather pocket book ,it can be modified into a possibles bag.Tandy used to carry a kit and/or a patteren for bags.Also check the Dixie Gun Works cat.They had kits and patterens. Good Luck.

RE possibles bag ? Back in the seventys they had leather purses made in mexico . they used to cost about 7.50 at all of the craft shows and out door swapmeets . they were made of thick cow hide about 1/8 to 3/16 thick they'll last for ever I look at all of the swapmeets and antique stores and find them as cheap as one dollar to 20 dallars they make the best possibles bags you just don't want one with a lot of decorations on it . the ones I've found have been very plain and they come in all sizes I don't think you can find a better bag for the price you just have to hunt for them but is'nt that what we like to do ? hunt for things?

Does any one know of a good kit to make a horn out of? What are the pro's and con's of buying one? Thanks

I found October Country bags to be very nice for the price. I picked one up for my daughter this year, a double bag for around $60. As far as hunting goes I have been using speed loaders for the last 3-4 years. I carry 6 of them in various pockets of my hunting coat. As far as a primer, I use the brass spring loaded kind and I tie on a nipple pick to it so when I pull it out to use the pick is right there too. When I did use a bag I had the primer held on the strap of the bag.

My suggestion would be to look at lots of pictures of bags and pay some attention as to how they are made. Pick ideas that you like and make yourself one out of Canvas. After using it for some time, you will get ideas about how you would personally like to have a bag arranged. When all these ideas come together, make yourself a bag out of leather (elkskin is my peersonal favorite) and arrange it to your liking. Then decorate it to your personna. It's real nice to have a bag you built just how you like it and looks just how you want it.

Evening,

I was in the same boat as you about a good bag, then someone on here mentioned Calico Jack's to me, went to his site and found a great looking bag at to me is a price you can't beat and Calico Jack(Ted Reese) is such a great guy to work with, heck I even asked him a question about making a knife sheath and he helped out with that, even though he makes them, don't find too many companies that will give out help like that, that could take away a sale from them.

:front:

Back