• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good leather for side-seam mocs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of trying my hand at a pair, but I'll want something heavier than deer hide as I am a literal tenderfoot. Brain-tanned elk, moose or bison would be nice, but I'm guessing bison might be too thick.
Who else makes their own primitive footwear, and what works for you? Where do you buy your material? Brain-tan is pretty spendy stuff, so I wouldn't want to have to buy a whole hide or even a side.

Oh, yoo-hoo, Mr. Labonte! Are you out there Chuck?

You might try to get some moose hide, its tough and will last for a good amount of time. Brain tan or german tan buffalo will last a while as well. Get enough to make a couple pair and rotate them.

I've used split cowhide from Tandy to make moccasins. Tough, but not too expensive for something you'll eventually wear/walk through.

Eventually, I'll have braintan for moccasins.

Hey BilliOregon:
You opened sort of a sore spot with me so..here it goes. Modern man wears shoes and boots and they last a long time. Making your own moccasins takes times and the leather costs some $$$ so it is reasonable that they last a long time. The trouble is...IMHO the moccasins worn at the time were a completely different situation. They were a throw away item and they didn't do much to protect your feet.
So who wants to be making a new pair of moccasins every three or four days. I don't.
There are a couple of referrences to "soles" The trouble is- as far as I know- no one has any idea what these "soles" were. Were they the entire bottom piece of a puckered toe type moccasin or were they just a foot outline sew on to a soft pair of moccasins. One mountain man party out of Taos- headed to the Green River- got stuck in the snow and had to boil down their supply of rawhide moccasins soles - turning them into soup.
In any event the moccasins themselves appear to have been made from fairly thin leather. Exceptions of course exist- using green hides of just shot game, etc. Elk was used a lot, moose was sought, buffalo didn't seem that common because the grain wasn't preferred by many.
It would seem to me that a comfortable leather for your side seams with a rawhide sole sew on the bottom ought to be PC and you can sew on new soles as needed.
As I said, I've had a lot of trouble getting really good information on this but side seams are proven- lots on that, and soles are mentioned. If a side seam is one piece and soles are mentioned, then it would seem (always a dangerous thing to assume) that the soles had to be an additional piece sew on to the one piece side seam.
I hope others share their thoughts.
My special sore spot- those Ligonier "THINGS".

Crockett:
I found a brief reference to hard vs. soft-sole mocs here, but they are dated to the mid-1800s. Also note the use of cut-up rawhide parfleches! Seems recycling "ain't nuthin' new"!

http://wyomuseum.state.wy.us/Exhibits/Shoes.asp

Being as how most of the people that would wear mocassins, either ndn or white, would travel mostly on foot, they would wear out and would be replaced often. One average size deer hide will produce at least four pair and since the deer hide was turned into buck skin, a by product of killing deer, it was free, if you were doing the killing, bucking,braining, and working. Soft areas vs hard areas, meaning land, they would last longer. Hard western earth vs softer eastern dirt would require the addition of a sole to the mocassin and thick shoulders, rumps, or necks from bison, moose, or elk, would last longer than whitetail or mule deer. The plains people used them on their side seams, desert people used the thickest bottoms them could get. One of the ways that raw hide was made to last and as a form of sizing was peeled cactus paddles rubbed into the rawhide. I wear out about 6 pair a year and have done some additional fixing on some every day wear pairs. Get some nice thick bull shoulder, be it beef, bison, elk, moose, and cut out the shape of the sole of the mocassins and whip stitch them on. Friend uses shoe goo, then stitches them on the mocassins. It works well enough. Mocassins were made to be used and then replaced. Buy enough hide, tan enough hide to make several pair at a time. Rotate them often so you dont wear them out so fast. Leather, no matter what form it is in, aint cheap and it aint gettin any cheaper. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure but it acts like shellac. I've resoled some of the Comanche powwow dancers fancy mocassins in the past due to the thick rawhide soles breaking down at the stitching with bull shoulders and they have lasted for a couple of seasons of dancing. Thicker is better but its gota be plyable as well.

Back