• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going price CVA Varmint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What seems to be a fair price for one of these? I found one that is in really great shape. Just don't know what they are worth. He wants $200 for it.

CVA Varmint? :confused: :confused: Never heard of one. Any chance you can give us more information?

.32 cal. Factory drilled and tap for scope. Same thing pretty much as a Squirrel model I think.

Just picked one up myself..of course I overpaid..looks like theyre sposed to be about 150-250 or so, depending.but of course its all about what someones willing to pay.. :wink: im still working out the bugs, pretty finicky, but it seems all the little rifles are a bit more particular. fun, though. Even thinkin abt scopeing it. seems to shoot better than I can with the open sights. and only needs 15-20 grs powder

Near the later years of the side lock production, CVA put out some limited numbers of single trigger half stock small bore muzzle loaders. I understand there was both a 32 and a 36, which were very similar to the bobcat rifle. The Varmint was one of them.

When I started running a sporting goods store (1978), we had a CVA Zouave in stock. Took forever to sell and I have not ever seen one in their catalogues or advertising. CVA had more than a few rarities out there. Like the CVA Siber pistol. The 32 cal Pioneer, which had a hooked breech, but a pinned in barrel.

They are pretty basic models and it depends on your market area but around here $200 would be top dollar. $150 fair and $100 a good deal.

How does your rifle shoot! A friend of mine has one and we are having a hard time getting it to group. It's a fun gun but we need to get it fine tuned for sure! Geo. T.

Tommeboy,That price is in the ballpark.I have 2 of them I bought new in the box.I am gonna sell one in the future and will be asking more than $200.Even tho a CVA these little .32 and .36's are in pretty good demand in most places.You don't see them for sale much,and for that kind of money what other small bore would you buy?I really enjoy shooting mine.

the varminter is new to me, recently bought it off this site and prob only have ab 25 shots fired so far. inside abt 25 yds I can keep em covered with a quarter, but ive been messing mostly at abt 40-50, and I cant really say yet. Im not so used to open sights and pretty new to a traditional sidelock, so Im more likely to blame for patterns than the gun. all ive used so far are 310 hornady balls and factory 30-39 patches in 10 thickness. I have 315 balls and patches in 15 & 18 thickness, but havent even tried em yet. Im still experimenting yet and dont seem to see a lot of difference from 15-20 gr powder. prob 20 or so shots were all at 15 gr. been using Graf powder,3f, just because it happened to be the first opened from my last order. got 1 to try and a few swiss and a few goexx. last few weekends its always seemed to be 20-30MPH winds here, so im waiting to get out and play with it some more.

one thing I can say abt a .32 is get yourself a stainless ramrod for range use I broke a cheap floppy synthetic one and went with this http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/566/1/RAMROD-C-36-10
very happy I did and would recommend it highly :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
In this area 125 at most for a like new one. Smoke poles are dirt cheap in this area. Larry

you'd be surprised what these 32-36 caliber cva's will bring these days. If i were selling, easily list it for $325-$350. They just dont make them any more and are going to get even harder to find in those calibers.

I have a very clean one in 32 cal. I used to have a squirrel also. The varmit has a heavier stock. Larger barrel across the flats and cap on the forearm. I loved my squirrel rifle until i picked up the varmit. The varmit fit me much better and the extra heft made it easier to shoot.. there is no way i would part with mine for less than 250.00. I mean, what are you gonna get to replace it???

Back