• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wound up with 20-some pounds of Schuetzen and Goex which, by the way, I can't see the difference in, 2f and 3f. Probably have enough powder for 2 lifetimes now. I dont give a rat's buttocks what Goex ever does or doesn't do. Still have 3000 caps so that's probably 4 lifetimes worth. Really don't care what CCI ever produces or not.

Most artillery bag charges still have black powder igniters to pick up the flash from the breech tube and ignite the charge in a reliable manner. If you see photos of 155 howitzer charges you will see they have a red disc on the end facing the breech. This is a bag quilted with black powder. Artillery charges are usually variable with differing sizes of propellent to allow for steep trajectories. You always end up with lots of voids in the chamber, and you need a good strong flash to get it all going.

Cased charges such as the 105mm also have an igniter tube up the centre of the case that is filled with black powder. There have been some attempts to replace this with smokeless primer powders with mixed success, as we know, smokeless is not that good at picking up ignition...

A lot of military pyrotechnics use BP as an ignition booster or as a component ejection charge. Igniting the end of a flare candle evenly to get a consistent burn is actually quite difficult. The traditional way of doing this is to use a disc of cloth coated with very fine (mill) gunpowder. It flashes across from a central ignition point and ignites the whole surface of the flare.

BP is almost unique as a propellent in that it will perform reliably at low pressures and is not that pressure sensitive. It will also not detonate if mistreated. Provided it is hermetically sealed and not allowed to get damp BP has also almost a limitless shelf life unlike nitro compounds which will break down with time and temperature.

So... yes we are all still very dependent on Black Powder for defence and policies which end up off-shoring production are REALLY STUPID!

...are you listening UK?

Goex is all I've ever used... I'm really glad to see it coming back on line. I'm down to 5 lbs of FFFg. It's actually leftover from when I was active in the BP world in the 80s, and I've just recently gotten back into it. The powder made the trip to TN in '92 from where I was living in CA at the end of my USAF stint and where I stayed for a little while after the AF.

I was only able to shoot last month 'cuz I found one tin of #11 caps for my TC Hawken .50 hidden in my BP plunder, but those will barely get me through another shoot. Nobody has any. I'm going to try using the CCI Reenactor (low power) musket caps to see if those will work as a (hopefully temporary) replacement, but I also think it might be a good idea to just go flint moving forward, so I got a Kibler SMR .40 kit to put together that I'll be starting on soon.

I sure hope you can make all that happen... You'd be a hero to a lot of folks!
Grafs has Scheutzen caps. I think addicted to blackpowder may have some too.

I wound up with 20-some pounds of Schuetzen and Goex which, by the way, I can't see the difference in, 2f and 3f. Probably have enough powder for 2 lifetimes now. I dont give a rat's buttocks what Goex ever does or doesn't do. Still have 3000 caps so that's probably 4 lifetimes worth. Really don't care what CCI ever produces or not.
I’m so proud of you.

Latest posts

Back