• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX-PINNACLE POWDER?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this new powder? It supposed to be manufactured by Goex and APP(Really,they are now holding each others hands?after the law suits? O.K. kill me, I could not resist.) When you 'SURF' over to Goex sight and read about this powder, it says, Smokless Black Powder? Why would want smokeless black powder? Now on another forum(CAS shooter, says it smokes like crazy, very clean, not quite as powerful as T-7. Just curious...... Respectfully Montanadan (old feeble,curios minds would like to know?)

Well according to Goex's web site:

"Pinnacle is a new "bore-friendly" black powder substitute from GOEX. Pinnacle looks like black powder, loads like black powder and can be used like black powder in all black powder firearms. Clean-burning and non-corrosive, Pinnacle's low-residue formulation is designed to reduce build-up problems.
Designed like authentic black powder, Pinnacle produces consistent velocities and shoots with accuracy similar to black powder without the smoke and smell. "

It is NOT balck powder.
It IS a black powder substitute.

Woody

Thak You Woodhick, I stand corrected. Why no smoke? Respectfully Montanadan

I have never shot any of this paticular powder.
But I would say it may have some smoke when shot. Not certain . but other BP subs smoke just not as much as real BP.IMO

Goex may feel they have to compete with the other BP substitutes with the growing trend of in-lines from all the advertiseing money being spent on in-lines.IMO

Woody

Yea, but will it work right in a flinter? That always seems to be the problem with the subs. You can get consistant ignition in a flinter with them. I know, use real BP, but like has been pointed out, it is getting harder to find in a lot of places and a sub that would actually work in a flinter would at least let people who can't afford to buy a whole case of BP at once, still get out and shoot.

Montanadan-
I e-mailed Goex and asked the technical dept. about Pinnacle powder, particularly the statement about it not smoking. An individual in that dept. e-mailed back that it SMOKES almost as much as real blackpowder (they meant to say it does't smell - of course I like the smell of real b.p., but back to the question), it looks like real b.p., its very accurate, clean and non-corrosive. Basically its supposed to be like (they say better) Black Mag 3 except that it looks like real b.p. and is MUCH cheaper, approx $18.50/lb.

Maybe so, but it's still dang near twice the price of "real blackpowder" and that stuff has worked just fine for more than 700 years!! :m2c:

Maybe so, but it's still dang near twice the price of "real blackpowder" and that stuff has worked just fine for more than 700 years!! :m2c:

I like my Goex so much I'm thinking about moving those cases into my den next to my recliner, so I can just reach down and pat the cases every now and then
:: ::

Bob Thanks for responding, I guess they have to compete with T-7, and also answers the No-Smoke question...Respectfully Montanadan

Rebel, just be patient! SOMEONE will answer eventually! If you live long enought :crackup: I do like Roundball's response what he does with his Goex. Did you send them a Valentine's card? With X's and O's? :crackup: But, will the new powder work in a flintlock?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, i don't know if i have that much time left. :crackup: Someone needs to answer soon, i'm gettin' older by the minute. :crackup:

Don't know if I was clear on the smoke; what I meant to say was that, yes it makes smoke. Rebel - I am e-mailing Goex about flintlocks (kinda want to know myself). I ordered some 2f Pinnacle to try out. Can't help it..just like experimenting!. :: Will post results in the days or weeks to come.

Well since the cost is about the same as REAL BP.. I will stay with what works.
Maybe rebel can break his wallet out and let ole George Washington see lil day light and get some and report back on it to us IF IT WILL SHOOT IN A FLINTER :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Make sure it's small bill ya use when ya buy it. Cause ya can't spend a $50 bill south of the mason dixon line, it's got Grants picture on it! :crackup:

Woody :haha:

Yep, never did care for them $50 bills for that very reason. :: But 'Ol Rebel thinks he will hang on to his money and use the real Goex BP he already has. :: Why fix what ain't broke. I can still get the real stuff. Just was wondering for those who can't

Bob,

You may not get a response to your e-mail to Goex right away. They are off to a shoot.

Two weeks ago the big brown truck dropped off a box direct from Minden. Inside was several pounds of the Pinnacle Powder and a few cans of some experiments with black powder.

The Pinnacle does indeed smoke.
The Pinnacle is NOT hygroscopic.
The Pinnacle is not corrosive as long as you don't let a gun sit fouled any great length of time.

It will be at least another month until I can get to the range and check it in the guns.

As to working in a flintlock.
The subs can be shipped as a flammable solid, rather than as an explosive, mainly because of their higher ignition temperatures. This makes them difficult to work with in a flintlock. Most require real bp as the lock prime. Some require BP squib charges in the breech, under the main charge of a sub. With most, if you can get them to ignite in a flintlock with only BP in the pan you will expect to see a somewhat delayed ignition. They do not ignite as fast through the charge as BP will do.

So part of my testing for Goex is complete. Not hygroscopic and not corrosive. Next will be the velocities comnpared to Pyrodex, 777, Black Mag 3 and Goex BP.

Dutch Bill-
Thanks for the info. at least now I know why Goex didn't respond (they responded quickly to my first inquiry). Am looking forward to trying Pinnacle powder. If its as good as Black Mag 3 I believe they will do well with it (especially at much cheaper price!).

Bob,

Both are based on ascorbic acid with potassium nitrate.

I want to see if there is any difference in velocity between the two that would make the Black Mag 3 more desireable even at it's higher price. Cabellas, at their Hamburg, PA store gets $29.99 for a pound of Black Mag 3. I have no idea what the gun store price for Pinnacle will be. Right now a few GOEX distributors have the Pinnacle Powder. How fast others get it depends on when they will order.

I would also point out that the Maine Powder House is now a GOEX distributor but does not yet carry the Pinnacle Powder. When he does so in the future is unknown.

Pinnacle is considered to be an improvement over APP 's normal production powder.

Latest posts

Back