• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX-PINNACLE POWDER?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a reply to a e-mail to goex
I asked these Questions
Will this powder work in a flintlock?
What is the ignition temp?
Does it develop the save velocities as Goex BP?

Mark Fahringer Gave these answers
Sir,

Sorry for the delayed response - although not designed for flintlocks (we'd rather you use authentic black powder) it will work in in your flintlock - you can even crush some grains in your hand and use it in the flashpan. The ignition temp is around 650'F - much lower than Pyrodex. Velocities will surprise you - they are better than black powder............

Regards !!

Thought I would pass this on to the fourm.

Maybe so, but it's still dang near twice the price of "real blackpowder" and that stuff has worked just fine for more than 700 years!! :m2c:

I like my Goex so much I'm thinking about moving those cases into my den next to my recliner, so I can just reach down and pat the cases every now and then
:: ::

Have you hugged your Goex today? :crackup:

I'm sure there is a lot of truth in what has been said about real black being hard to come by for some folks...my self included.

It seems the Feds have really cracked down on the sale, transportation, and storage of real black powder. The little mom & pop place on the corner has been forced to go to substitutes, large outfits like Wal Mart, don't want the hassel, and the one guy who still has any wants an arm and a leg for it.

I can see a lot of people using black powder substitues, not because they want to, but because they have to. It will be hard to get the guy who uses only a couple of pounds every year to order a case.

I ordered a case last october...I think, and fellow shooters have worked that case over like you wouldn't believe. I am afraid that ordering four or five cases a year, by one person, then splitting it up with his buddies may draw some unwanted attention. I've had to tell them "no more fellows...get together, and order it yourselves".

Just my thoughts.
Russ

Wow a substitute that is real close to holy black. And since it can be crushed by finger tip, no need to buy a special priming powder.
But does this formula classify as "non-corrosive" tho?

This just arrived in my in-box. I asked if it was flint capable, even as a prime in locks that currently fire with FFg.

Sir,

Although Pinnacle powder was not designed for use in a flintlock it certainly will function fine. Velocities with this new substitute even surpass that with authentic black powder. You can simply crush some of the grains with your fingers to use as flash powder as well.

Thanks for your interest !

I'm not tossing my real blackpowder, but it is a comfort that we might have an end-around if the Feds (or states) restrict BP further. :redthumb:

I'll definately pick up some if I see it at the local stores just to try it.

If you fellas buy me a can I'll try it in my flint and let you know!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup: :redthumb:

Rebel,

I had the .45 TVM flinter out in the yard this morning with the Pinnacle Powder. Temperature at 30 degrees. Used crushed Pinnacle as a prime in the lock. Had about 40 grains of Pinnacle 3F in the bore with a folded cloth cleaning patch as a wad. Here in the city they don't like me firing balls into my back garden.

Squeezed the trigger. A loud bang with almost no hesitation.
This is the first BP sub I have seen that will work in a flintlock as both main charge and lock pan prime. Especially when the temperature is at freezing or below. I had allowed the loaded rifle to sit outside for an hour along with the little vial of crushed lock prime powder so that both would be at the air temperature.

It looks as if GOEX found a winner in this Pinnacle Powder as far as subs in flintlocks go. From the bang produced by a 40 grain blank charge I am itching to see it over the chronograph.

Dutch Bill
Keep ua posted as to how it is for fowling and number of shot before you need to swab.
Thanks
Woody

Woody,

It still kinda Winter up here. It will be 3 or 4 weeks before I get to the range with it and the chronograph.

Squeezed the trigger. A loud bang with almost no hesitation.
This is the first BP sub I have seen that will work in a flintlock as both main charge and lock pan prime.

Thank God!

As long as true blackpowder is available I'll use it, but I went through a scare last year when all my in-person sources dried up. I don't mind using the mail, but I can see the writing starting to bleed through the wall that explosives will not become any easier to ship in the near future.

At least now there's a fall-back plan.

As long as true blackpowder is available I'll use it, but I went through a scare last year when all my in-person sources dried up. I don't mind using the mail, but I can see the writing starting to bleed through the wall that explosives will not become any easier to ship in the near future. At least now there's a fall-back plan.

I went through a scare back when rumors of the patriot act were circulating and decided to make my own personal fall back plan:
# cans/year X # years left to shoot = order quantities.
Unless I live a really, really, really long time, I'm all set with Goex.
:winking:

Yeah, I got a case, but it's in a downstairs closet up on a shelf directly under our bed. :shocking: I figure in the event of a downstairs fire we'll have an automatic ejection system so we don't have to worry about finding our way out through the smoke filled downstairs.

At one point, before I contacted www.powderinc.com, I was down to two cans and I was beginning to get truly concerned.

Now I'll just have to go back to worrying about Tom Fuller choking to death on a crumpet bone.

DUTCH BILL- Thank you for the "INFO." Thanks to all that resonded. It will probably be a few months before we see any of the Piannacle powder out here... Respectfully Montanadan...

Thanks for the report. I've ordered some Pinnacle powder, and if it comes tomorrow (the UPS truck just drove by and didn't stop :cry:), plan on trying it in the percussion GPR this weekend. Will post the results.

UPS delivered the Goex Pinnacle Powder Thurs. after my last post. Today my friend and I tried it in our .54 percussion GPRs. Good stuff! Fast ignition, minimal fouling. Clean up was a snap. Can't give a bonafide accuracy report because the wind was blowing in sporadic gusts 18 to 20 m.p.h. and quartering across the pasture we were shooting in. We both had two shots in one hole at 25 yards, with the third about an inch off. At 50 yards we both shot 5 shot groups of which all were in the black (the wind did open the groups at 50 yds).

The Pinnacle Powder I ordered was 2f. This stuff looks very similiar to black powder, however, the 2f was courser than black powder 2f (probably about like 1f). You may want to try 3f. :m2c:

BOB J- Thanks for the report. Is it as powerful volume for volume as Goex(real black). I ask this because Goex did not make this powder, Americam Pioneer, makes this powder, Goex is the distributor for now...Respectfully Montanadan

The canister it comes in says it is a "joint venture" between the two companies. The powder seemed at least as hot, probably a bit "hotter".

I like my Goex so much I'm thinking about moving those cases into my den next to my recliner, so I can just reach down and pat the cases every now and then
:: ::

I shore hope you've given up cigars. :bull:

Back