• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Made Percussion Caps Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you want a small amount, Mix three drops of the cement in a tablespoon of acetone. You could likely get a hundred done with this. IT will evaporate quickly though.

I use a mason jelly jar (1/2 pint size) about 7/8 full of acetone and add about 1/8th of a tube of duco cement. Use the band and lid with the jar and no evaporation so far. I might be heavy on the cement but have not had any issues with the cap going off or the mix falling out.
The mix is a bit dirty compared to production caps and they might not win any beauty contest but that sure beats not being able to utilize your muzzleloader if you don’t have any percussion caps!

I want to bump this back up to the top because I haven’t been able to find a n answer to my question.

Has anyone been able to make their caps work with a speed loader or priming tool?

I want to bump this back up to the top because I haven’t been able to find a n answer to my question.

Has anyone been able to make their caps work with a speed loader or priming tool?
Yes I use the star loaders from polishcappers.

They also work with the guns of the west cappers too. You can also make your own capper out of leather and a punch. If you are wondering if they will work with a Ted Cash capper, I have not had any luck making mine work with them. If you question is more directed to modifying the die to fit a loading press, I have not attempted any alterations to mine, I have found no need to.

I was mostly wondering about tc speed loaders since I have a bunch of them. Really any capper is good though. It’s helpful to know that some of them work.

I just wouldn’t want to have to carry them around in a pill bottle or something while hunting.

No one has replied because no one has got them to work. Even if you double up on the aluminum sheeting, they don't work well.

1691003844170.jpg

There's a pic of nobody not doing it.........

Do you mean nobody has made the caps work or nobody has made speed loaders work with them?
To clarify, no one I know especially myself has ever got homemade caps to work with speed loaders. Homemade caps work great, I've made about a thousand of them so far. And the only time I've had a misfire is because I wasn't following directions when I made them. Which is rare.

I ordered .005 copper and .005 aluminum on Amazon. They both work nicely and make a much cleaner cap body than the pop cans. It's still very economical and much easier to work with than pop cans.
I recently received both from Amazon. They work great. I like the copper a bit better, but be careful when cutting strips, sometimes it leaves a nasty burr on there that likes attaching itself to the inside of your finger! I had used .005 brass also but it’s harder material and I believe over time it may wear out the teeth on the cutter. Plus the strip will get hung up in the slot on the tool after you bang one out and be a pain in the butt to get back out again.

Back