• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM Sale barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundball, I certainly agree that the preasures involved in the breech of any muzzleloader is many times that found in an engine. I feel that propperly installed, Heli-coil will sustain these preasures. "But" it also presents a catch basin for corrosive deposits to work on the metal. As was said if the part has to be removed many times over the years,this certainly could create a problem. I,m interested in obtaining a bbl. and install a breech plug of my own design.As I stated, if anyone has received a bbl. in .62cal.and would like to recoup their investment. I prefer a smoothie,but would settle for rifled. [email protected]

I'm not an engineer, so I asked one about helicoils, as well as doing some research on my own about them. According to the engineer, they are always stronger than the parent material. According to Helicoil data, they are used in a number of high stress, high vibration areas in aerospace and although I have not yet found the tech bulletin that refers to this, they are supposed to withstand high pressure. Since corrosion will have a much greater effect on the parent material, I'm not sure if there is a greater risk of a stainless helicoil failing vs. a stainless nipple threaded into the same material.

The bottom line is that I'm not in a panic over this, so Gordy will have to wait a bit :wink:

Geraldo said:
"...corrosion will have a much greater effect on the parent material..."
Actually that's exactly my point...the issue never was with the coil itself...if 9,000psi pressure pushes corrosive residue back in the juncture between the helicoil and the breech, I don't how anyone would know those breech threads were being eaten away...anyhow, luckily I don't have one

Whats to keep the pressure and corrosion from eating away at the regular breechplug threads that are made of regular steel? Probably because they are tight and are going to stay forever. I believe any problem would start with loosness of the helicoil.........And if they tapped it right.
If I did have a heli coil barrel, I would keep an eye on things for any loosness..........One other thing...........The end of the helicoil that is used to screw it in with. Did they leave that crosswise peice in for the flash to have to go around?......................Bob

No crosswise piece left in this one and there was no problem with ignition. I don't see a problem in the rest of our lifetime and if you do a good job of cleaning, and then use some WD-40 to displace any remaining moisture(like i always do), i don't see it developing any rust anyway.

I received the 3 I ordered yesterday, 2 of them have helicoils. I'm not too worried about them but I'd rather not be worried at all so I'll see if they will replace them. If not I may replace them myself.

Deadeye said:
"...If not I may replace them myself..."
Curious what you're referring to?
Replacing the breech plugs with new threaded seats in them?

Or removing the helicoils to D&T the holes larger and put oversize nipples (or vents) in them?

FYI...I just got off the phone with Green Mountain concerning the helicoil because I couldn't tell by looking at the screwed out nipple area if I had one or not on my .54 smoothbore percussion that I just received. According to the individual with whom I spoke, only the .62 caliber barrels might have a helicoil in them. Any of these barrels can be returned for a new no-helicoil breech plug at no cost to the owner; however, it could take a few weeks turnaround time. They asked that a note be included explaining the reason for returning the barrel. I also asked about the small screw on top of the barrel just in front of the hooked breech because my old T/C barrel didn't have that. Turns out that it's a clean-out screw. Tom

I also called them yesterday, I received a .50 and a .62 with helicoils. I was told that they would not replace them on the $100 clearance. Maybe I misunderstood her but that's what I thought she said.
I asked if they would send me 2 breechplugs and I would fit them myself (I've been fitting these for 40+ yrs.) She said she would find out and call me back, I'm still waiting for the call.

RB, I meant fitting a new breechplug without the coil.

I just ordered a .32 and a .62 for my Renegade. The .62 has a helicoil which does not bother me. If you are willing to wait 6 weeks, they will ship the .62 barrels without the helicoil.

Rebel, thanks for starting this post! I never would have known about this sale otherwise.

Back