• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Globe sight for GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If i install a globe front sight on my .50 cal. GPR, can i use the fixed rear sight with it? If so, what would be the correct hight for the front globe sight?

That would depend on which globe sight you installed.
There are tall ones and short ones available.

In the case of this Schuetzen which uses the tall globe sight I doubt that anything except a tang mounted peep sight would work.
schut0001.jpg

With the lower ones, the boxy adjustable sights that come on many rifles (including the GPR) would probably work.

I've tried using a globe type front sight with a buckhorn (primitive) rear and found the sight picture to be difficult to use at best. Trying to put the dot in the globe in the slot on the buckhorn was virtually impossible to do routinely.

Nicholas Earp said:
If i install a globe front sight on my .50 cal. GPR, can i use the fixed rear sight with it? If so, what would be the correct hight for the front globe sight?

A couple of things to think about. If your rear sight is not adjustable, you want to be sure to buy a rear sight that's a little too tall so you can do your filing back there to adjust POI. You're sure not going to file on the front globe to adjust POI.

I'd also measure the heights of your current front and rear sights and note the difference. You can bet that when zeroed with the newer sight combo, there's going to be that much difference between the new ones.

If you're still with me on that, I'd measure the height of the globe front and compare that with your current front sight. If it's say .20" taller, then you know your new rear sight is going to have to be at least .20" taller than the old one.

I pulled those #'s out of my...... head. Yours will certainly be different, but the only way you can form an informed guess is comparing measurements. Not an issue if you're looking at at adjustable buckhorn for the rear, however.

I had a globe front mounted on my GPR for a couple of years and tried most of the inserts in a variety of conditions. I was even able to use it for hunting, right up till I got snow packed in there. Kind of a bugger to clear out.

I never fired it, but very briefly I kept the original Lyman adjustable rear on after I mounted the globe. For my eyes it was a sure no-go, but yours might be different. I replaced the rear with the Lyman 57 peep sight and it worked great in combo. If I was doing mostly range shooting or long range shooting I wouldn't have anything else.

Okay, I take it back. I'm replacing the 57s on my rifles with TC hunter peeps. They're lots smaller and more streamlined than the 57, and they're a perfect fit for the existing screw holes in the tang. Not as easy to adjust as a 57, but plenty serviceable for a hunting gun rather than a target gun.

Back