• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting the hang of Kentucky .54 rocklock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwanShot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Pistol is a Pedersoli .54 Kentucky flinter. Loaded with ten grains of BP under 25 grain of pyrodexP.
I've been having trouble getting any accuracy with this pistol. It is my first and only flintlock.
I tried different size balls, different patches, loads, lubes, etc.
until, in sheer desperation I tried the REALS I shoot in my Renegade. This is by far the best I've managed to date and I reckon the spread is all down to me. So, now it's practice.
The range is 25 metres, but call it yards.
By the by that load kicks like a bloody mule. o_O

Attachments

• kentucky Nov 2022  #1.JPG
    kentucky Nov 2022 #1.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Kentucky Nov 2022 # 2.JPG
    Kentucky Nov 2022 # 2.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pistol is a Pedersoli .54 Kentucky flinter.
I've been having trouble getting any accuracy with this pistol. It is my first and only flintlock.
until, in sheer desperation I tried the REALS I shoot in my Renegade. This is by far the best I've managed to date and I reckon the spread is all down to me. So, now it's practice.
I had a hard time hitting anything with my .45 Pedersoli flinter Kentucky, because I wasn't used to flintlock pistols. It may have been the lock time, the pan flash, maybe it's just me , but I was never as good with it as the percussion version I had which was insanely accurate with round balls

I do love a Flintlock pistol and the Pedersoli flinter Kentuckys are really good looking and nice handling pistols. Maybe I'll get another one , I like those Bounty pistols

I had a hard time hitting anything with my .45 Pedersoli flinter Kentucky, because I wasn't used to flintlock pistols. It may have been the lock time, the pan flash, maybe it's just me , but I was never as good with it as the percussion version I had which was insanely accurate with round balls

I do love a Flintlock pistol and the Pedersoli flinter Kentuckys are really good looking and nice handling pistols. Maybe I'll get another one , I like those Bounty pistols
Oh yeah, shooting a flinter is a whole new ball game, but I'm getting there. I think

Is it hard getting a pistol over your way?
Ok, the only way to own any pistol down here is if one shoots in a recognized national or international competition and is a member of a registered club. This applies to any and all handguns. By law one must shoot in said competition 6 time in any year. In other words one must be a proven competition shooter to own a handgun of any sort.
OOps, I didn't realize you were an ozzi too. You guys got any black powder. We've got none!!!

Ok, the only way to own any pistol down here is if one shoots in a recognized national or international competition and is a member of a registered club. This applies to any and all handguns. By law one must shoot in said competition 6 time in any year. In other words one must be a proven competition shooter to own a handgun of any sort.
OOps, I didn't realize you were an ozzi too. You guys got any black powder. We've got none!!!
That's not too bad.

Not sure, I drive 5 hours to Adelaide to buy Swiss. Getting it locally is probably a challenge though.

I forget how spoiled I am as an American to just be buying muzzleloading handguns on websites and having them delivered, I hate that you guys have to jump through hoops to own 1840s technology, it's ridiculous

I forget how spoiled I am as an American to just be buying muzzleloading handguns on websites and having them delivered, I hate that you guys have to jump through hoops to own 1840s technology, it's ridiculous
Every country has its pluses and minuses. I recently was found to have a tumour. After all the scans, tests and a surgery with one of our countries best plastic surgeons (tumour was in my wrist) it cost almost nothing. I'd hate to think what it would have cost in the states.

But I do agree it's silly we can't just buy reproduction guns that easy. In my state if it is flintlock or older mechanism however a d an original made before 1900 we don't need a license.

Pistol is a Pedersoli .54 Kentucky flinter. Loaded with ten grains of BP under 25 grain of pyrodexP.
I have a .50 Pedersoli Kentucky flint, I like it. But as mentioned takes awhile to get used to. Any ignition delay will make consistency difficult. I’d go over the lock and trigger assembly and polish things up, and try to use all black powder if possible. But for using a pyrodex mix your not doing bad at all with it being new to you.

Every country has its pluses and minuses. I recently was found to have a tumour. After all the scans, tests and a surgery with one of our countries best plastic surgeons (tumour was in my wrist) it cost almost nothing. I'd hate to think what it would have cost in the states.

But I do agree it's silly we can't just buy reproduction guns that easy. In my state if it is flintlock or older mechanism however a d an original made before 1900 we don't need a license.
In America a prison inmate will get better medical care than me , but that's a whole different discussion

I have a .50 Pedersoli Kentucky flint, I like it. But as mentioned takes awhile to get used to. Any ignition delay will make consistency difficult. I’d go over the lock and trigger assembly and polish things up, and try to use all black powder if possible. But for using a pyrodex mix your not doing bad at all with it being new to you.
Just got through doin all that and I reckon I halved the weight of the trigger with the judicious use of a super fine diamond file, and the fizzen is moving more freely, so, let's see how I go next time out. At least the ignition is reliable.

Back