• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting excited.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiousgb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got to shoot my new Flintlock for the second time today. I used my newly made .600 prb's over a charge of 75gn of Swiss FF and an oxyoke .18 pillow tick patch. The one out of the group was my first shot ( I am still getting used to the flash). The exciting part came when shot after shot went in the same hole, a total of 4. This was right at 50 yards. Now I just need to get the sights set up.

IMG_20130426_122811_359.jpg

Very nice, They are fun to play with. Especially with groups like that.

.60 or .62 caliber rifle? Biggie.
You are doing it right, work on the group first then mess with the sights. I suggest some more shooting, this time from the bench before doing anything to the sights.

YUP....RIGHT MATCH!
stick with that load! :hatsoff:

taller front sight maybee........

Rifleman1776 said:
You are doing it right, work on the group first then mess with the sights. I suggest some more shooting, this time from the bench before doing anything to the sights.
This was from the bench. I wish I could shoot like this off the bench.
I added a little height to the front sight, and will try it again this weekend.

Rifleman1776 said:

It is a .62. She is shooting about a foot high.

I betcha your first shot went to a different spot because it came from a clean barrel. This is normal. Your subsequent shots were nicely grouped because the barrel was in a similar condition with all those shots.

That is a very nice group, keep up the great shooting! :thumbsup:

Shooey said:
I betcha your first shot went to a different spot because it came from a clean barrel. This is normal. Your subsequent shots were nicely grouped because the barrel was in a similar condition with all those shots.

Thanks,
When I shoot for groups with more modern rifles, I usually fire a fouling shot or two. I figured muzzle loaders probably followed the same principle. But I did notice that the first shot spooked me. I focus really hard on front sight and follow through with this rifle. It should sharpen my marksmanship skills for all firearms.

that's a good grouping for 50yds.

for my first shot i like to foul the barrel with 30 grains or so, no ball or patch. then do an in/out dutch swab. now i'm ready to shoot for score.

curiousgb said:
Shooey said:

Thanks,
When I shoot for groups with more modern rifles, I usually fire a fouling shot or two. I figured muzzle loaders probably followed the same principle. But I did notice that the first shot spooked me. I focus really hard on front sight and follow through with this rifle. It should sharpen my marksmanship skills for all firearms.

ME TOO!!! your already all excited and then KABOOM!! gotta love it. I need to drag mine out this weekend, it only has about 10 balls run through it. And I sure hope I have a group like yours!!!

creek

Back