• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

George Moller's 17th Century French Matchlock Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Today we're taking a look at one of the oldest muzzleloaders, and ignition technologies for muzzleloaders ever built. There's really not much older than the matchlock. This French example of a matchlock represents everything known about matchlock muskets from the 1600s and even farther back. This is a thick stocked, long-barreled, large-bore musket with no frills.

From the Rock Island Auction Company:

This musket is pictured and discussed on pages 37-38 of "American Military Shoulder Arms, Volume I: Colonial and Revolutionary War Arms" by George D. Moller. The toe has a "GDM" Moller collection mark. He notes, "This musket generally resembles the French military matchlock muskets described and illustrated by St. Remy in his Memoires d'Artillerie, published in 1697." It utilizes a crossbow style "tickler" lever trigger and has a "trigger lock" that has the trigger acting against a spring that automatically brings the serpentine back away from the pan when the trigger is released. The lock has a rounded profile, a pronounced teat at the tail, and a manually opened pan cover with a fence. The smoothbore barrel is two-stage and has a simple girdle at the transition point. The breech section is inscribed with "NEVFCHASTEL" in large letters on top behind a v notch dovetail mounted rear sight, and the round section has a simple blade front sight set back from the muzzle. Moller indicates the underside of the barrel has a Suhl control mark on the bottom. Moller references the multiple "Neuchatels" of France as potential locations for this musket's use.

Thanks for posting, Ethan! That is a very interesting piece, and your videos give us all a much better look than is possible from the still photos on the websites.

I know the various auction houses are hoping to sell at a profit, but the guns they display are virtual online museums. I enjoy browsing the auction websites, especially RIA and Cowan's, even though I'm only a "window shopper." Folks who are interested in firearms history can gain a lot by studying the images and descriptions they provide.

Thank you for showcasing this one!

Notchy Bob

Is this an ad for rock island auction?
My apologies if my gratitude to RIA comes off that way, I was not paid to make these videos.

I've been trying to find museums and privately held originals to showcase and share for a long time now, Rock Island was the first connection I was able to make that went anywhere.

I can't and don't speak for RIA, but I am thankful to be able to share these pieces before they are back in collectors' hands.

Thanks for posting, Ethan! That is a very interesting piece, and your videos give us all a much better look than is possible from the still photos on the websites.

I know the various auction houses are hoping to sell at a profit, but the guns they display are virtual online museums. I enjoy browsing the auction websites, especially RIA and Cowan's, even though I'm only a "window shopper." Folks who are interested in firearms history can gain a lot by studying the images and descriptions they provide.

Thank you for showcasing this one!

Notchy Bob

Thanks, Bob, I think I say it in one of the videos, but it is like a rotating museum in there. I'll never be allowed this kind of access to history at a museum and for that I am grateful.

Maybe someday I'll sell some stocks and be able to buy a photo from their catalog ;)😂

Just be AWARE, one really needs to WATCH OUT for these auction houses!

Cowens Auction years ago sold a gun they alleged to be the original ‘Hannah Dustin’ musket from the infamous Deerfield raid. However, it was later design by decades and architecture, never mind that the original firelock was still in the possession of the Dustin relatives! Noted experts of early arms, like Ken Hamilton and many others, even let them know that ‘what they were selling was not an original arm’, but they still sold it ‘as if it was’. IIRC it sold for $35K!

If you have paid attention to these forums for ‘early’ arms, even the alleged ‘Mayflower matchlock’ is a complete forgery!

Back