• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General temp and humidity info?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamara

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I see a lot of discussion about changing loads, lubes, etc., a bit depending on the temperature and humidity. Can anyone please give me just a general overview of the effects of temp and humidity?

If it makes any difference, I have a Cabela's Pedersoli double 12ga.

Daytime temps here in february will be about 25-35F, with about 45% humidity.

Thanks!

The main thing I experience are changes in humidity...if the humidity is high, fouling stays soft so you can reload easily with the next patched ball pushing the soft fouling down on the powder charge to be expelled with the next shot, never builds up, etc.

When humidity is low/dry, the fouling tends to dry/harden very quickly and either a much wetter lube is required to keep it softer, or I have to occasionally wipe the bore to continue loading/shooting OK.

"Can anyone please give me just a general overview of the effects of temp and humidity?"

My guns work perfectly in all weather conditions.

Back