• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gemmer/Gimmer locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a rifle that has a Hawken style lock.The lock has no markings on it but one of the guys in our club said it is probably a Gimmer/Gemmer lock.Any of you fellas have any info on these?The rifle was built by a fellow from Oklahoma who passed away some years back.Any info would be appreciated.Thanks,Paul

Perhaps he meant "Griffen" locks. They were made by a small tool shop and they were very well made. I have an old Muzzleblast article about them.

Gemmer was a contemporary of S. Hawken and made fine plains rifles. There used to be a percussion lock styled after those originals. Differences between that and what folks call a Hawken lock are subtle at most.

Thanks guys I appreciate the info.There is a lock in the TOW catalog that looks a lot like it as far as size and shape so I might get one for a spare.Thanks again,Paul

As Rich said, Gemmer was an early maker, and according to a book I once had, took over the Hawken shop and continued making Plains style guns into 1900 or so.
Don't know about repro's of them.
Regards,
Terry

Quoting THE MUZZLE-LOADING CAP LOCK RIFLE by Ned H. Roberts, Bonanza Books N.Y. cw MCMLII p183:

Speaking of Jacob and Samuel Hawken:

"...Samuel (Hawken) was born in Hagertown, October 26, 1792, came to St.Louis in 1822 and became a partner with Jacob where they made rifles for the old mountain men and trappers for nine or ten years; then the shop was moved to 33 Washington Avenue, St.Louis, where they made rifles until sometime in 1862. The business was then sold to John P. Gemmer, who had been one of the Hawken workmen and knew all abour those rifles, who continued making the Hawken type of rifles in St.Louis for fifty-three years, retired from business in 1915 and died sometime in 1919 or 1920."

I hope that helps.
:)

Back