• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gearhart -Owen Powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Mike

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,I was just given a can of G-O "Superfine Black Rifle Powder". Its size is unmarked.Can states "good for muskets,pistol & shotguns" but f's faded only g visible. Is there a rule of thumb as per size (ffg,fffg,etc.)or should I just eyeball it by comparing it to a marked powder? Regards,Mike

Uncle Mike said:
Hi,I was just given a can of G-O "Superfine Black Rifle Powder". Its size is unmarked.Can states "good for muskets,pistol & shotguns" but f's faded only g visible. Is there a rule of thumb as per size (ffg,fffg,etc.)or should I just eyeball it by comparing it to a marked powder? Regards,Mike
That's a somewhat old powder made by the Gearhart-Owen company before it became GOEX (GO=Gearhart-Owen, don't remember what the EX stands for).
I for one don't know which modern made powder to compare it to if we even could...but based on your quotes, if it was me I'd treat it as if it was 2F and use some vary light 20/30/40grn charges to get a sense for what I had there...then adjust accordingly.

Thanks Roundball, for your info.I definately will take it slow if I use it at all,regards,Mike

The Ex stands for Explosive which is the Division of G-O that makes black powder.

If it's been stored properly then you should have no problems, I'm on my last can of G-O dating from 1973. With respect to RB I would suggest loading it as if it were 3F just to be on the "safe" side. G-O had some minor issues in the old days with pressures.

Gray Wolf said:
With respect to RB I would suggest loading it as if it were 3F just to be on the "safe" side. G-O had some minor issues in the old days with pressures.

That's exactly why I suggested 2F...it generates LESS pressure than 3F...3F burns faster and can jump pressure faster than 2F :wink:

If I remember correctly, back in those days, Gearheart Owen called their 2Fg powder " Rifle Powder," and the 3Fg powder " Pistol Powder". If you have current GOEX powder in either grade, put a bit of each from the cans on a piece of paper in clear light, and compare the two for granule size. I can tell the difference between my 3F and 2F powders, when they are placed side by side, so I think others can, also.

Just a guess on my part, but Paul states G-O called their 2fg powder Rifle powder, so I would think that if the can says Superfine Rifle Powder that it should be 2fg. UNLESS...the can was used for something else. Further testing is in order, first to find out if it indeed is black powder! Emery

Latest posts

Back