• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son has 275 chestnut seedlings to sell in his basement, all in small pots marked Early, Medium, and Late according to what point in the year the trees will bear nuts. These are all disease-resistant. All are at least a foot tall. I have several of the new disease-resistant chestnut trees in my orchard and actually got my first chestnut last year.

From what little I know, chestnuts were, before the blight, a major tree for wildlife and lumber. I now know one thing ..they really grow fast. He lives in Kansas City. Anyone interest, PM me.

Buddy I hope not. Seems you enjoy it a lot. What do you suspect is wrong with her she won't start?
I don't know , I am not a mechanic. Its the pull start that's got me. My guess is a nick in the spark plug wire or a fuel filter that needs changing. It will start (sometimes) but after a minute or two it abruptly shuts off. No sputter like a clogged fuel filter, it just stops. I had a lawn mower that did that. When it heated up, it quit like you hit the "off" switch.

Last edited:
Oh both the mower and the tiller had Briggs & Stratton engines, so hopefully it's a simple problem.I have always prided myself in cultivating or keeping the garden weed free (well, somewhat). I'd laugh at others who had weeded up gardens. I thought to myself "You don't just plant, and then harvest, there's work involved". With the rains we got last week, my garden plot is already "greening" up with a zillion little weeds. Makes you wonder how I'm going to get out there and hoe the weeds.

Last edited:
I don't know , I am not a mechanic. Its the pull start that's got me. My guess is a nick in the spark plug wire or a fuel filter that needs changing. It will start (sometimes) but after a minute or two it abruptly shuts off. No sputter like a clogged fuel filter, it just stops. I had a lawn mower that did that. When it heated up, it quit like you hit the "off" switch.
Did you leave gas in it last year? All the stuff they put in gas now and days can do it. Brigs and Stratton motors are notoriously cold running engines. If you can get it running, put fresh gas in her and run some Seafoam in it. That will help clean out the carb. Clean/or replace the air filter too. Also, might change the oil too. Low oil will cause an engine to shut down too.

Did you leave gas in it last year? All the stuff they put in gas now and days can do it. Brigs and Stratton motors are notoriously cold running engines. If you can get it running, put fresh gas in her and run some Seafoam in it. That will help clean out the carb. Clean/or replace the air filter too. Also, might change the oil too. Low oil will cause an engine to shut down too.
Like I stated I am no mechanic. I think I used all the old gas in Feb. Plus I put a gas cutoff switch on it several years ago. Here lately Briggs & Strattons have been leaking gasoline into the combustion chamber. Or it winds up in the oil. On my mower you got to remove the spark plug and blow out the gasoline or its "super flooded".My main problem at the moment is my back. I can't jerk on the pull cord.

Like I stated I am no mechanic. I think I used all the old gas in Feb. Plus I put a gas cutoff switch on it several years ago. Here lately Briggs & Strattons have been leaking gasoline into the combustion chamber. Or it winds up in the oil. On my mower you got to remove the spark plug and blow out the gasoline or its "super flooded".My main problem at the moment is my back. I can't jerk on the pull cord.
👍

Some years ago a sister-in-law gave me a small tiller. I think it's called a Huskee Viper. Probably Tractor Supply's version of the Mantis. If I can get it started I just may use it instead of my big 7 horse Craftsman.I think the only thing wrong with it is the small plastic priming bubble. It got brittle and fell apart.I've seen replacement parts for Briggs & Strattons. Oh yeah, it's a 2 stroke engine as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the home garden continues to do well, I’m pleased so far. My Wife has been harvesting yellow squash and banana peppers for a week or so. I’m going to harvest more squash, peppers, and the first zucchini today. Tomatoes are loaded but still not turning color yet. and the plants are 5’ to 6’ tall. I’ve been pruning suckers to prevent further growth. And surprisingly the one volunteer tomato that I kept is a Sweet 100 cherry variety, always good to have. Also I’m very pleased that the bees are doing their pollination chores properly now.

Attachments

• IMG_3827.jpeg
    IMG_3827.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3829.jpeg
    IMG_3829.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Keeping my fingers crossed that the home garden continues to do well, I’m pleased so far. My Wife has been harvesting yellow squash and banana peppers for a week or so. I’m going to harvest more squash, peppers, and the first zucchini today. Tomatoes are loaded but still not turning color yet. and the plants are 5’ to 6’ tall. I’ve been pruning suckers to prevent further growth. And surprisingly the one volunteer tomato that I kept is a Sweet 100 cherry variety, always good to have. Also I’m very pleased that the bees are doing their pollination chores properly now.
It all looks very nice. Wonderful job there.

Finally got the drip irrigation system done today. The planning was harder than Chinese math, the doing not so bad. Had to make a trip to the store for more T valves, but everything is getting a drink. Bout the only thing bad I have to say is the further down the line it gets, the less drip those plants get. But they're roots are all getting water.

Those tomatoes look pretty close to being ready to flour up and fry🤤

Do any of your know if the Huskee Viper has a Briggs & Stratton engine? It's one of those little mini tillers/cultivators like the Mantis. I was bending over trying to get the model and serial numbers and my back just wouldn't let me.All I got was that it's a 43cc 2 stroke engine. But I saw it had a Briggs & Stratton air filter on it, so maybe it is.

Do any of your know if the Huskee Viper has a Briggs & Stratton engine? It's one of those little mini tillers/cultivators like the Mantis. I was bending over trying to get the model and serial numbers and my back just wouldn't let me.All I got was that it's a 43cc 2 stroke engine. But I saw it had a Briggs & Stratton air filter on it, so maybe it is.
From what I read about it the engine name is Viper, but I couldn't find where it's made.

Ardisam Inc. in Wisconsin.

If I lived closer to you I would be more than happy to get it running for you. The gas they make today contributes to thr trouble you are experiencing. I can't help but to think its on purpose. They know how to make good gas.
Agreed. I try and run everything dry before putting it up for the season. Gas breaks down pretty quick, flip side if you put preservatives in the gas, who knows what they'll do to an engine.

Back