• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G. Goulcher Gun - Trying to get info. and approx. value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maroo1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I inherited this gun and kept it around for quite a while now even though it was missing a part. I just liked the look and age of it. It has a short octagon barrel on it, so wasn't sure if it may have been cut down at some point in time or if they possibly made short barrels (24 inches.) I have researched some on the lock maker G. Goulcher placing that from somewhere 1840 to 1860. Any information and approx. value would be appreciated.

SIGN EMOJI PHOTOS.jpg

LD

Mid 1800, missing drum and barrel rib/ ramrod thimbles. Could have been made almost anywhere from New York to Illinois. Value in current condition about $100.00

I'm not much help with rifle but I have read that the Goulcher family family was involved in gunmaking for quite some time in the mid 1800's if not before. At one time in the '70's I had two back action locks made by Goulcher. I built a 58 caliber plains style rifle around one and sold the other with the rifle when I sold it. The locks were not high quality but were functional enough.

I inherited this gun and kept it around for quite a while now even though it was missing a part. I just liked the look and age of it. It has a short octagon barrel on it, so wasn't sure if it may have been cut down at some point in time or if they possibly made short barrels (24 inches.) I have researched some on the lock maker G. Goulcher placing that from somewhere 1840 to 1860. Any information and approx. value would be appreciated.
Ball'ley & Nies'English gun makers' list s George Darlaston Staffs 1853 1896.. George Wednessbury Staffs (Staffordshire )1878 & 9 quite a family in that trade & region Serviceable locks not high end but huge export to US .Yours looks fine to me it is
what it is. and ide expect worth more than the estimate youve been given a good locks worth that, a sleeper with some history wouldnt be robbing anybody at three times that ..If it where down here it would be snapped up .But you got to' find your man' whatever your selling .Good luck with it .
Rudyard s take on the matter

I inherited this gun and kept it around for quite a while now even though it was missing a part. …… Any information and approx. value would be appreciated.
No offense intended, but the real value in a gun like this that you inherited is the sentimental value. Monetary value, likely not much unless provenance leads you back to a unique owner or builder.

Last edited:
I think maybe this is a later re stock of original parts.
Doesn't scream restock its Old probably never had a rib just a saddle pipe on the cut of portion Not been 'got at 'in recent times .Agree any family history adds greatly. While personally I call such gun"s Degenerate Hog "rifles others see them in a different light .But to me this looks worth saving' Bucks County' studies such guns .Perhaps he will add a comment .
Rudyard

I agree with Rudyard - looks period to me; also 'Eastern' US possibly made for a smaller person hence the shorter barrel; the checkering adds a quality feature and appears to have been put together by an able hand - Goulcher made a lot of locks for the trade and the trigger guard can be found on a number of rifles - Check out Whisker's books. If the barrel's ok I'd get someone who knows what they're doing to restore it and then shoot it!! Value in NZ would be in the order of NZ$500.00 - I wouldn't guess at US prices. It's a nice piece - treasure it.

Goulcher made locks and shipped them out by the barrel full for gunsmiths to use. I don't think the Goulchers actually made any guns.
This piece looks mid-1800's to me. And I'm thinking that barrel has had several inches cut off the muzzle end.
Is there any sign that might indicate a barrel rib or ramrod thimbles were once attached?
What caliber?

Goulcher made locks and shipped them out by the barrel full for gunsmiths to use. I don't think the Goulchers actually made any guns.
This piece looks mid-1800's to me. And I'm thinking that barrel has had several inches cut off the muzzle end.
Is there any sign that might indicate a barrel rib or ramrod thimbles were once attached?
What caliber?
Honestly I don't know caliber or any other history on gun. This was one that just peaked my interest so I kept. My Dad had a number of guns in the shop he acquired over the years from different places or some were for parts. He closed his shop in late 80s and he passed in the 90s so no one around to ask. Decided to do some research and sell a few. Everyone here has been so helpful - Thank you.

There you are from something valued at 100$ youd get 500$ in NZ. I knew Bucks County would like it . Nice keep sake & it wont eat much grass. if a pencil just goes in its about 40 cal if it rattles a bit its likley 45 ish .NZ$ are lower than US ones & postage would be a killer so I don't think its a bid Buck Co is making .Golcher isn't listed as a' gun maker ' their was a raft of Golcher's any one might have made or had made guns but non listed as gunmakers as such lock makers where near but outside the Birmingham center of gun makeing along with Brazier & Stanton and others who focused on locks
Regards Rudyard

Secretary of the' Save old junkers' society .

Last edited:
There you are from something valued at 100$ youd get 500$ in NZ. I knew Bucks County would like it . Nice keep sake & it wont eat much grass. if a pencil just goes in its about 40 cal if it rattles a bit its likley 45 ish .NZ$ are lower than US ones & postage would be a killer so I don't think its a bid Buck Co is making .Golcher isn't listed as a' gun maker ' their was a raft of Golcher's any one might have made or had made guns but non listed as gunmakers as such lock makers where near but outside the Birmingham center of gun makeing along with Brazier & Stanton and others who focused on locks
Regards Rudyard

Secretary of the' Save old junkers' society .
Thank you so much for all the great info. I may try that pencil trick to get an idea of caliber. Again thank you!!

I think maybe this is a later re stock of original parts.
Dear Sam .Back to Col Hawkers flint to cap device & My same topic photoes . I looked him up finding in his "Instructions to young Sportsmen" he waxes on about the 6 he had altrered & all but one failed after hard use . He gets one Parson's GMK of Salisbury to make a stronger version & it works fine Hawker has him make the ' Hammer Bridle' stronger ( By 'Hammer he means what you call a ' Frizzen' & I call a' Steel ' NB Hammer is a' Cock' in his & my terms .He even has the inner parts lined with Platina (Platinum) records 800 shots with but three miss fires (He shot A LOT did Hawker )Date not given but circa 1820 ide guess (going through his two vols Dairies is a major Search ) Worthy of a proper Post probably ?
Cheers Rudyard the' devolving gun nut', actually old Kit Ravenshear was fascinated by devolving locks & 'Roman candle' repeaters .R

Maybe some Monitor will put this add on onto the original post re such guns & the photos I sent with it .Sam being Same Man but Different post could not find the previous one relevant R

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back