• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G&G small grips.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently obtained a G%G replica. The gun is in fine shape but the grips seem to be too small for the frame. I've seen pictures of toher guns that appeared to have the same problem. Is THIS a problem or an actual way the gun was built. I don't like the way it feels in my hand and have a piece of walnut ready to make some new ones, but I thought it may be better to ask some of y'all who may know differently.

Photos please! We also need manufacturer, date code, etc.

Original G&G revolvers had an upswept "tail" on the gripframe so someone may have been trying to emulate this.

Regards,

Jim

The only markings that I can find are, Williamson Arms Italy, XXV, and D1534. I would love to send a photo, but my phone and my PC have no desire to conform to any degree of unity and I don't know how to get a pic to post.

Williamson Arms was the US importer, Italy was the country of manufacture, XXV is the Italian date code for 1969, and D1534 is the serial number. I would think at least the frame would have the two Italian proofmarks. Check the underside of the barrel under the load lever for other markings.

If it is a repro G&G it will be .36 caliber, brass frame, smooth/plain/un-engraved cylinder, with a part round/part octagon barrel.

If you have the photo(s) on your PC HDD, start a new post, click on "Attach files", download the file(s), and then select "full image".

My Pietta G&G (factory marketed) along with my R&A (parts gun):

Pietta Rigdon & Ansley Pietta G&G 002.JPG

Regards,

Jim

Both of yours are beautiful. Mine is as you said, a 36 cal. smooth cylinder. However, the grips on mine are of a darker wood, possibly stained from handling, There are some peculiar looking markings on the brass that I can not replicate here, and there are NO markings on the barrel save the Williamson on the top. Now, where the wood on your guns appears to be flush with the brass, mine is not. The wood on mine is at the very least a 32 of an inch below the brass frame and a hair more in some places. I suspect this may be shrinkage due to age, but I don't believe so, if they were oiled when they were installed, also, mine are darker colored than the grips on my 1851 Pietta Colt. Also, my barrel is only 5 inches. The previous owner said it had rust in the muzzle when he got it, and he had to cut it off.

There are some peculiar looking markings on the brass that I can not replicate here.

Can you describe them?

Now, where the wood on your guns appears to be flush with the brass, mine is not. The wood on mine is at the very least a 32 of an inch below the brass frame and a hair more in some places.

It sound like a previous owner replaced the wood you have for the original wood. With Pietta and Uberti revolvers, the wood, the backstrap, and the trigger guard are finished in one assembly. Sometimes one gets lucky and can find wood and other parts to fit decently.

I suspect this may be shrinkage due to age, but I don't believe so, if they were oiled when they were installed, also, mine are darker colored than the grips on my 1851 Pietta Colt.

I don't think shrinkage at all.

Regards,

Jim

My guess is that the grips were refinished by someone with a power sander, and he carelessly removed too much wood with the sander. That happens far too often.

I love it when a group of guys go back and forth sussing out what happened to/with an older firearm.

That's what it is all about. With the pandemic in Italy going on, give a thought to the idea that we may never see C&B revolver production as in the past.

The current market is all about older revolvers coming out of folks' closets/safes and selling for much more than pre-pandemic prices just because of supply and demand. That is where paying attention previously about older revolvers might get you a diamond in the raw.

Modern repro revolvers are now in a collector realm of their own.

Regards,

Jim

Back