• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fuze hole size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to drill the fuze hole for my project.
I have fuze I can measure but just wondering if someone might have a suggestion???
Thanks

In both cannons on 1.75 bore other 2.25 bore i made mine 1/8
And i use a 1/8 drill bit on a T handle as a cleaning prick not correct but works

Hi
On my cannon I went with a 2.5mm hole! as the fuse I use is, Visco fuse slow 2mm!
which gives plenty of clearance so I don't have to un block the hole that often :)
I use a standard 2.5mm drill to un block the hole as and when necessary!

Rick

Bigmon said:
I need to drill the fuze hole for my project.
I have fuze I can measure but just wondering if someone might have a suggestion???
Thanks

You're not talking about that rough cast bronze cannon with all the flaws?

Have you had it properly inspected and sleeved?

I am going to put it in a hole and "test fire", or proof it.
I been working on the finish and there are no flaws deep in the metal anywhere near the breech,
The worst is maybe 1/16 to 1/8" deep at the very most, and not near the breech, more than hajf way out the bore.
I plan on about 300 Gr powder well packed.
If she blows, the it's scrap.

Who is there that is recognized as a qualified inspector?? I would prefer that.
It may not be neccessary to sleeve it. Though I suppose that anything that could be done to make it stronger would be better.
Can they be xrayed? Who can do that??
My family dr. actually might do that for me, if it can be done on a regular xray machine???
I inspected the bore and there are no flaws or voids visable inside.
Thanks as always for any suggestions.

Bigmon, I once had a ML cannon barrel I bought at a junk dealer, made from a piece of 3" Naval gun.It had a breechplug turned up and screwed (?) into the breech. A local materials lab x-rayed it with iridium 131 and it had big beautiful 1/2 inch threads about 5 inches deep. This was about 7 years ago and it cost $60. Not bad for peace of mind around the public. I also had the bore honed out smooth to 3 1/4", the old Navy rifling was rotted and dangerous on a ML cannon. Worked great with 1/3 lb of 1FA blasting powder, (salute charge) Had to sell it later, the gun is a good one and missed. Looked like a Confederate mountain rifle on steroids. Treestalker

Look for an Industrial X=ray service or Industrial Pipe Inspector. There's, also, Magnafluxing.

The voids that I refer to are internal, in the walls themselves. Not visible.

Latest posts

Back