• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Future Patch Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy2000

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I unjammed the drawer on an old gas BBQ this afternoon, and found a rusty, dusty Old Hickory slicing knife. I don't even remember when or where I got it - maybe I inherited it from my parents. But I cleaned it up some with steel wool and a stone, and it took about five minutes with a diamond hone to put an edge on it that shaves hair.

I'm planning on buying or making a small shooting bag to go with my new Kibler Southern Mountain flintlock rifle; I believe I'll add a sheath to the strap or the bag and make this my patch knife.

When I get back to my shop, I'll wire wheel the rest of the heavy rust off it, and then add some sort of patina to cut down on the shiny and protect it a little... 20201027_175421.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar knife. May have paid $0.75 for it many years ago. Sharpens easily to a razor's edge. I overlook the modern rivets and the fake hammer forging.
I don't think the rough indentations and lines on Old Hickory knives are necessarily just fake hammer forging; they also serve the same purpose as dimples on a blade: reducing suction when cutting deeply into meat or juicy vegetables. I'm sure they're also there partly for visual reasons, though...

Every Old Hickory knife I've ever seen has them. I suspect they've looked like that ever since the Ontario Knife Company started the line, back in the 1920's.

The Old Hickory knives make great cutters and are inexpensive blades to re-handle around hear you can get them at flea markets, and thrift stores for a few dollars. Here are two from a flea market I played with.

Attachments

• 42CDCB9F-9FD7-4D0F-8C14-CB5684DA522A.jpeg
    42CDCB9F-9FD7-4D0F-8C14-CB5684DA522A.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 120
My best score on a thrift store knife was a Thiers-Issard Elephant Brand Chef’s Knife, Made in France. New, it would've been about a $50.00+ knife at the time. I paid a quarter for it,, and the gal behind the counter apologized for having to add another two cents for sales tax. :)

I have that exact same knife that I got when my parents died. It was a favorite growing up, and my favorite steak knife now. Not sure where my mom bought it, but steak seems to taste better when I use it.

Latest posts

Back