• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You Appear to assume allot based on one or two of my posts, and further, if you converse with some people the way you have been intentionally rude with me you will be missing the chance to make some new friends, but that I can accept, as a career LE officer I've been beat up verbally and at times physically by experts.
My suggestion is that before you attempt to insult someone it may be a prudent thing to get to know them first.
Have a great rest of the day my friend. :)
I can only go by what you post. My point is don't bash the stitch counters, they have the same rights as everyone else. Years ago my friends and I formed our own exclusive club you might consider stitch counters . We excluded all of those who couldn't cut it. It was glorious.

try being nice to people, most times a helping hand is better than a bunch of criticism.
Yeah,,, cause your snide little "stitch counter," comment was real nice....

Just because you "were involved" doesn't mean you made the grade or did your own research,, or any research. So you're bored with the topic, read another, maybe one that fits your confirmation bias.

Yeah,,, cause your snide little "stitch counter," comment was real nice....

Just because you "were involved" doesn't mean you made the grade or did your own research,, or any research. So you're bored with the topic, read another, maybe one that fits your confirmation bias.
Well this is getting us nowhere, I guess we'll have to leave it to the folks to decide for themselves, I'll give you the last word, somewhere I read that when a man is bound and determined to make a fool of himself don't get in his way, so I'm stepping aside my friend, you have the way. :)

I can only go by what you post. My point is don't bash the stitch counters, they have the same rights as everyone else. Years ago my friends and I formed our own exclusive club you might consider stitch counters . We excluded all of those who couldn't cut it. It was glorious.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it's the right thing to do, most folks with proper fetching up know the difference, and they seldom join exclusive clubs.
But just so there's no hard feelings I'll burn some sage for you that you may see the light and that it may cleanse your thoughts and give you a more forgiving nature.
Peace be with you brother.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it's the right thing to do, most folks with proper fetching up know the difference, and they seldom join exclusive clubs.
But just so there's no hard feelings I'll burn some sage for you that you may see the light and that it may cleanse your thoughts and give you a more forgiving nature.
Peace be with you brother.
I'm allergic to sage.

Wouldn't you know it. :rolleyes:

LOL, I really like my life, I've always had to work for a living, never had a big bank account, but I've been blessed with riches more valuable than mere money like a great family, good friends, and lots of toys.
Life is good.
Well then, we're twinkies, lets hug it out.... not in a gay sort of way though. 😝

Don't want to get into one of C. Numb's p!$$!ng contests, but as to the original subject, here's my 2c and that's what it's worth. There is evidence that trappers of the fur trade era definitely distinguished between "fusees" and "rifles". For instance, in Osborne Russell's "Journal Of A Trapper" [link], he mentions "rifle" 55 times and "fusee" 12 times. In each case the fusee is the inaccurate smoothbore gun (typically wielded by the indian), and the rifle is the superior [rifled; duh] weapon.

Don't want to get into one of C. Numb's p!$$!ng contests, but as to the original subject, here's my 2c and that's what it's worth. There is evidence that trappers of the fur trade era definitely distinguished between "fusees" and "rifles". For instance, in Osborne Russell's "Journal Of A Trapper" [link], he mentions "rifle" 55 times and "fusee" 12 times. In each case the fusee is the inaccurate smoothbore gun (typically wielded by the indian), and the rifle is the superior [rifled; duh] weapon.
I agree, pissing contest have a better chance of getting one banned from many forums and they seldom reach an understanding.
However, in my opinion based on allot of years of shooting muzzle loaders, trying to decide or to convince others which is the better tool, a rifle or a smoothbore long gun is mostly an exercise in futility.
Both do a good job depending on what that job is, it's been said that a smoothbore musket, fusee, fusil, trade gun, (call it what you will} is a poor substitute for a rifle, and that a rifle is a poor choice for a smoothbore, I own and shoot both and I can honestly say that I enjoy shooting both types.
A good quality M/L rifle is capable of great accuracy at much longer ranges than any smoothbore, so in that respect it has the advantage over a smoothbore.
A good quality smoothbore is quite capable of shooting shot with great patterns out to 40 yds on average, something that most rifles are incapable of doing as the rifling damages the shot pellets and imparts a spin on the shot as it travels down the rifles bore, as it exits the muzzle the shot spins wildly in all directions ruining any prospect for a pattern needed for hitting a target with any consistency.
However, were I be put in a position where I needed to hunt small or large game in order to survive and had my choice of firearm I'd choose a smoothbore every time without a doubt.
I have several custom flintlock rifles that I can consistently hit an 18" steel gong with at 200 yds. but not one of them will consistently bring down an upland game bird flying by me at any range, nor will they handle shot loads at any range.
My smoothbore French Fusils are quite capable with a proper load and a patched round ball of taking down any animal in North America within 50 yds. and can take down any bird on the wing out to about the same distance with a load of lead shot.
Which is the best, that's a very subjective question and one that should be left up to the individual shooter to answer for him/her self.

Back