• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur Flap possibles bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leithan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying my hand at making a possibles bag, I have a few books with pictures of bags, my question is how common if at all was it to have a fur covered Flap, something other then deer. I have a skunk hide that would look pretty nice sown to a bag flap. I am trying to stay in the 1760-1775 time period.

Don't know how common that was. Madison Grant shows examples in his book. I remember bear hide used for one of them.
Use it and don't worry about overmuch. Sounds fun!

They had a couple with bear hide flaps in the Colonial Williamsburg leather shop last time I was there. Talking to the guy doing the work, he said it was done by some folks so the bag would shed rain better. Not that common, but known in Williamsburg times.

I would think that skunk would look great, but since the flap curves over the top, the hair would be a bit long on the inner side where it is sewn to the bag.

I have heard of beaver being used. I might give that a try on one of mine.

CS

Most of what I seen/researched show skunk-skin used for tobacco/pipe bags....most hair-on bags seem to be calf,deer,etc....

Piece of cake. Cut out all the deer leather pieces first, appliqué the tanned skins on the front panel, assemble and sew the bags.

I have a tanned buffalo hide and was thinking of making a pouch from part of it..

Back