• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ft. de Chartres Woods Walk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Take photos, or have folks take photos of you on the woods walk, for those of us who have never been on one. I wouldn't know what to expect. I'm still putting my kit together, and the only times I'vs shot my MLs were at the farm from my tailgate. I can guess what to do, but I learn more from seeing than from guessing. Thanks.

Buddy,

I’ll try. Figuring that @andy52 is going to have me pretty wrapped up though. Do not feel like the lonesome Lone Ranger here! Been shooting these almost my whole life and I remember reading about “Buckskinning” but just now at 59 years old getting to experience the craft.

A few more targets…

Pistol woods walk, rabbits & quail

84D40D28-19E7-4978-A1C9-3322828CD4AB.jpeg

Bow, runnin deer

28FA4DB2-66FD-42FD-BDAE-F80E62601867.jpeg

Speedy version of a rattle trap… ya can’t hear..👍
14834035-D3B8-46F9-9C19-A1E50FBF88C0.jpeg

Life Savers…. Across the creek hanging … string cuts don’t count…

519A4391-40E3-490A-AB10-B45E2761F860.jpeg

Pop bottles… swangin’

A67DFBA0-AE72-4DAC-8B77-40BBD89C16AF.jpeg

These are just some types of targets are can run across on any given woods walk..

And there’s always us old geezers..

5C95D910-1731-4F63-9804-96BAA248675C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes! Take photos, or have folks take photos of you on the woods walk, for those of us who have never been on one. I wouldn't know what to expect. I'm still putting my kit together, and the only times I'vs shot my MLs were at the farm from my tailgate. I can guess what to do, but I learn more from seeing than from guessing. Thanks.
I've never asked before but we might get the judge that accompanies us to take a few, I'm not sure the team itself will have time for photos.
One of the team members has a high-dollar drone he was thinking of taking along if they'll let us use it.

Members of the team can not have a camera on the woods walk. However, observers can follow the team and the judges during the woods walk and take pictures. The observers can't interact with the shooting team or the team may be subject to disqualification.

Here I am trying to cut a post in two during the 2017 Woods Walk.

1661176646418.jpeg

That was an ideal year. We finished in Seventh Place, just outside of the drawing to be the host for the next year's Woods Walk.

1661176857641.jpeg

I took bill and Breyden to the range today for some importune shooting, if my whole team shoots as well as they did today the other teams are in trouble. After the final sight in they were shooting a 3-inch plate every shot at 35 yards off hand.

I took bill and Breyden to the range today for some importune shooting, if my whole team shoots as well as they did today the other teams are in trouble. After the final sight in they were shooting a 3-inch plate every shot at 35 yards off hand.
All this practice. I might as well give up right now.

All this practice. I might as well give up right now.
They're still not up to snuff, next up is learning to shoot from the bag. When it cools a bit I'm going to do an impromptu woods walk and you are welcome to come up for the day and join in.
It's only about a 45 min drive for you.

I might have to. Sounds like fun. Probably need some tree identification, animal tracks and local history lessons. Some of these woods walks take on quite a bit of background information.
I figured to wait until the daytime temps are in the low 70s. I'll give Al Puknat a call he's been wanting to see the property anyway.
You could spend a week looking at trees on the 78 acers, there are two creeks on the property where you'll find plenty of animal tracks.
It's only a mile from the Mississippi and has lots of Native history.

Last edited:
Crazy things they had us do at the November Fort de Chatres woods walk... like 20 years ago.

I had to submerge my powder horn in a bucket of water.

Make a turkey sound while sitting down then shoot a turkey target.

Answer questions about local flora. We had a Monsanto botanist on the team.

Sing an 18th century song. One of the guys on the team always sang in the evenings at camp. Lucky for the judge, she didn't make me sing.

Produce a nail from our packs. We did this by producing a small file (because you know, who doesn't go into the woods without a file?) and offering to hammer it in, then snap it off.

Produce ice creepers. Yep, had them.

Set a small game snare and start a fire without a steel.

Knap a flint. Change a flint.

Answer various questions about local history. When they I say local, I mean local French history.

I'm sure there where more fun things, but they escape me right now.

- Hussar

Crazy things they had us do at the November Fort de Chatres woods walk... like 20 years ago.

I had to submerge my powder horn in a bucket of water.

Make a turkey sound while sitting down then shoot a turkey target.

Answer questions about local flora. We had a Monsanto botanist on the team.

Sing an 18th century song. One of the guys on the team always sang in the evenings at camp. Lucky for the judge, she didn't make me sing.

Produce a nail from our packs. We did this by producing a small file (because you know, who doesn't go into the woods without a file?) and offering to hammer it in, then snap it off.

Produce ice creepers. Yep, had them.

Set a small game snare and start a fire without a steel.

Knap a flint. Change a flint.

Answer various questions about local history. When they I say local, I mean local French history.

I'm sure there where more fun things, but they escape me right now.

- Hussar
You're right the list can get pretty long. The year my team won the walk I was packing at least 60 lbs of gear in my backpack.

I remember having to make a shelter.

Once when we were on a hunting scenario, we were given a stick horse to represent a pack horse. Dang thing was prone to run off if one of the team didn't keep it under control even in the fire fights.

Latest posts

Back