• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Priming with 3F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if humidity conditions shouldn't play a greater role in our daily choice of priming powder granulation rather than a one size fits all approach ? My feeling is that on days with high humidity and even fog is present we would probably experience better ignition with 3 or 4 F than with say Null-B or Meal-D which is basically BP dust and provides very hot, fast prime in dry weather but tends to absorb moisture in humid conditions.
I use 4 f on dry days, and 3f for humid and windy days. 4f absorbs more moisture from the air leaving soup in the pan, and on windy days it blows out of the pan.

I t
i shoot whatever i use in the barrel most times. on my range i use 4F sometimes, but hunting i always use the barrel powder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think when using Goex that one would be smart to sock/screen the can powder and use the recovered fines for the prime with normal match conditions . Barrel powder makes a lot of sense while hunting though.

It's generally believed that the old timers back in the 18th & 19th century didn't really use "priming horns"; that is more of a practice that took hold in modern times. Many small horns from history were probably 'day-hunt' horns, where you're out for the day only, and just need a small amount for several shots maybe. Home to hunt and back home same day. No need for large amounts of powder.

We use reenactor grade powder that is maybe 2f for the cartridges and we sacrifice a cartridge to use as a priming cartridge after the cartridge is loaded. That nasty powder works just fine. Its dirty and the bore does get fouled. I have a wad of tow on a string that I will spit on to wipe some of that fouling out after a couple of shots.

I haven't begun to prepare for the November Woods Walk.
That's because you really don't want to be in the running for 1st... 🤣
Anywho, I use powder straight from my horn (3F) at these types of events. I will use prerolled charges and a ball board which makes things happen a little faster.

I use 4 f on dry days, and 3f for humid and windy days. 4f absorbs more moisture from the air leaving soup in the pan, and on windy days it blows out of the pan.
Wow. It must really blow where you live. Lol. I can’t even imagine my powder getting blown out of the pan.

I’m almost embarrassed to say this but when I’m hunting I mix 3f and 4F. Mostly 4F. I’ve always heard 4F draws more moisture but for me it’s a little faster. I figure I’ll get the best of both. Yes I know I’m complicating it.

Wow. It must really blow where you live. Lol. I can’t even imagine my powder getting blown out of the pan.
Back in March, I was shooting at our local range…I almost could not keep powder in the pan when shooting from the bench. I had to turn my body against the wind and protect the pan to fill. Needless to say, accuracy sucked that day.

Yo folks make me wonder if my extra care to use 4F for priming has been futile these past 50 years. I always thought priming from the horn was an emergency tactic as if an Indian warrior was fleeing the scene of some awful degradation on a settler's home and the hero with the prettiest longrifle at the scene had no time to prime otherwise.

These priming "tools" work only with 4F. The two in the center throw 3 grains of powder while the one on the far left throws around 5 or 6 grains. The legbone primer on the right dribbles any amount one might want. When I have only 3F I either use the main horn or a separate container.

DSC00506.jpg

Back