• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frontier vs GPH, 2 questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to purchase a traditional muzzleloader for hunting out here in the west but have a dilemna: I cant decide between the Lyman great plains hunter or the pedersoli frontier. I am wanting to check my research before I proceed. Knowing that both rifles are stylistically different, in terms of function if both are .54's, my understanding is that conicals and roundballs are going to both be maxed out for game at 125 yards, with conicals holding a slight edge in terms of knock down power, correct? This leaves me to my final question about the 2 and that is: which rifle is going to be more accurate? I know they are stock rifles and require load development but are both going to be equal, on average, in the accuracy department? I love the look of the frontier but if the GPH is going to shoot better I want function over aesthetics. Thank you in advance.

Conicals have more foot pounds of energy at range but no real increase in ‘kick down power’. The GPR is a super sturdy gun, all round a little tougher then the frontier.
Both will do the job for you so it is just a matter of which one you like best.
For a newbie I THINK a GPR is a little easier to transition to.
A 1/48 twist will work well with ball or conical. A 1/60 will be a ball gun. And the 1/36 a conical.

The Great Plains Hunter GPH is a fast twist. Conicals only.
The great Plains Rifle GPR is designed for round ball.
The Frontier is a very well made and very nicely finished firearm. It's gonna cost a bit more - but IMHO - worth it.
The Lyman guns have had some finish and fit issues lately, if you go that route, make sure it is a new factory fresh gun, (Not NEW OLD STOCK)

That all said - I do own both - Frontier and GPR - Both shoot great - the Frontier is more accurate - both will take a deer at 100 yards easily.

@Griz44Mag is correct in that the Lyman Great Plains Hunter has a rifling twist rate more suited for flat based conical bullets.

Both rifles should have a quality barrel that is capable of accuracy that will result in successful hunts. Which one is more accurate? That will only be borne out by load development and shooter development.

The rifle I could have in my hands the quickest would tend to be the one I choose if hunting this season is the priority. Or the one that will have the best selection of ammunition and black powder or suitable substitute in the local gun shops. My leaning for what that is worth would be to the Pedersoli Frontier or the Lyman Great Plains Rifle since they will offer more options for ammunition, round ball or conical, and with load development will be able to get excellent accuracy with roundball and suitable accuracy for hunting. Besides, the recoil from a round ball load will be less. Less recoil tends to be associated with the development of highly accurate loads.

Conical bullets for these rifles should be flat based not coned as the base of a Minie' ball. Minie' balls work best in a rifle with shallow grooves and a slow twists, propelled by a rather modest 65 grains (volume) of black powder. Minie' balls are slightly under sized to the bore's land to land diameter and require the skirts of the conical base to expand into the rifling. Too much powder and the skirts over expand and deform on firing and accuracy is lost.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to purchase a traditional muzzleloader for hunting out here in the west but have a dilemna: I cant decide between the Lyman great plains hunter or the pedersoli frontier. I am wanting to check my research before I proceed. Knowing that both rifles are stylistically different, in terms of function if both are .54's, my understanding is that conicals and roundballs are going to both be maxed out for game at 125 yards, with conicals holding a slight edge in terms of knock down power, correct? This leaves me to my final question about the 2 and that is: which rifle is going to be more accurate? I know they are stock rifles and require load development but are both going to be equal, on average, in the accuracy department? I love the look of the frontier but if the GPH is going to shoot better I want function over aesthetics. Thank you in advance.

The following are my observations and opinions...

You don't want the Great Plains Hunter..., you want the Great Plains Rifle.

As mentioned above the Great Plains Hunter will force you to use only conicals as it is a shallow grooved 1:32 twist barrel. Also as mentioned above the conical will not necessarily deliver any more "knock down power" at impact, but it will likely arrive with more foot pounds of energy. It Will, however, deliver more recoil to your shoulder. The conical bullet was not developed to improve hunting results. It was developed to allow soldiers faster reloads while using a rifled barrel, so for many North American game applications, it is not necessary.

So now we are talking .54 caliber, round ball rifles, with twist rates of 1:60 or slower.

Advantages of the Pedersoli Frontier..., longer sight distance means easier for the eye of the average user to be accurate. Lower price than the factory finished GPR. Large lock that facilitates using the same powder for both the main charge and priming powder keeping things simple (not applicable to caplock versions) It weighs 7.5 lbs, and does come in kit form.

Disadvantages of the Pedersoli Frontier..., to get the most out of the barrel accuracy, swapping out the front sight post with a thinner front sight post tends to produce better results. It's an easy fix. The lock is held in with a single lock bolt, AND a small would screw (located next to the frizzen spring). One must be careful not to strip out the hole for that small wood screw. The factory wooden ramrod sucks, and needs to be replace with a proper ramrod (common problem on factory rifles). Pedersoli's patent breech needs a little more attention when cleaning to ensure good ignition.

Advantages of the Great Plains Rifle..., It's shorter than the Frontier, so some folks find that handier when in the woods/brush. Left-hand versions are available, as are kits (a kit saves some money). It's a .54 round ball rifle, and will take plenty of deer, and the large lock will also work when using the same powder to prime as well as the main charge.

Disadvantages of the Great Plains Rifle..., Cost for the factory finished rifle..., also the sight distance is shorter than the Frontier, but in truth, that likely won't matter, and it too can benefit from a thinner, after market, front sight post. Both it and the Great Plains Hunter weight 4 lbs. more than the Pedersoli Frontier. Something to consider if you are doing a lot of foot travel with the rifle.

Now there is a third option, that is the least expensive of the three, especially in caplock version... the Lyman Trade Rifle, with a 28" barrel and a 1:48 twist. Disadvantages...it's a short barrel so the sight plain is shorter. It's about 1 lb. heavier than the Pedersoli. Like the other two it does need (imho) a thinner front sight post than the factory installed front sight. Advantages..., it has a good sized lock so like the above two, a single horn and powder will work fine for main charge and prime if one buys the flintlock version. It's the shortest of the three so if the shooter likes the shorter GPR, this is 4 inches shorter still. It's a 1:48 twist barrel, which will not only shoot round ball well, but will also shoot conicals IF the shooter decides a conical is really needed.

LD

Don't forget looks and feel. Handle each if you can. You will most likely shoot the one that you feel balances better, seems to point better, and just seems to fit you better.

Excellent information gentlemen, thank you very much. I completely forgot about sight radius and didn't even look into weights. I'm going to be heading down to my local cabelas to handle both. Looks like the frontier is going to be it though. Thank you all!

I own both. Get the Frontier. I have my GPR for bear hunting in the PNW where I'm going to be bushwhacking. Its shorter and the finish isn't as nice so I don't mind if it get a little banged up.

The Frontier is obviously longer, which makes it less convenient to carry but it does look and shoot fantastic.

The .54 Frontier I owned, though slow twist at 1-65, shot hollow based conicals with very good accuracy, as well as patched round balls. Flat based conicals tumbled. Adding a wad behind a flat based conical helped, but not enough to be hunting accurate for me. My farthest kill on a whitetail was with that rifle at 115 yards and was a complete pass through breaking ribs on both sides. For the price, the Frontier is a good buy that will serve you well.

Back