• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front site to high on the GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This might have been discussed in a previous posting but I have been around three different GPR's and everyone of them had the rear site adjusted all the way to the top to be sighted in. One of them had been fixed the bad way,he grounded it down about .050th when I ment the bad way he grounded flat. As for myself I leave my rear site in the same location for fifty yard targets and 100 yard targets so I took the fixed rear site that came with the GPR and installed it I had to take off .055th of the front site for sighted the fun part was I did on the grinder.I kept the contour in the front site and just about ground off my finger nails in the process.

I did remove the stock sight that came with the gun,my eye are not what they use to be.I did install a set of STAR DOT fiber optic I had laying around in the shop and they work great.
I know what some guys would think not really traditional,but the fiber optic do work @ that what counts.
I was out the other day with the GPR and have to say at the 50 yard target the gun did group well all shots stayed in a 2 inch pattern.

Roaddog,... The best way I know to "sight in" adjustable sights,... is to lower the rear-sight as far as it can be adjusted, then file the front-sight to hit center at 25-30 yards. Lyman seems to offer the "too-high" front-site jest for thet purpose.

I like the "fixed" (one-piece, or, "primitive") rear-sight myself,... 'cause it is more durable than the adjustable sight, and has no pieces to lose in the field!!

If you shoot "competition", some range-masters have even required adjustable rear-sights to be "waxed" before the shoot'n starts, 'cause they don't allow sight adjustments part way thru a "shoot". :: ::

I filed my front site down and then filed it to a point, like an upside down V.works great for me. kept the adjustable rear on it.

Roaddog, Rollingb got it right. When I was still shooting low with the GPR's adjustable rear sight at max ht, I took a dremel tool cut off blade and removed about half of the sight's height (I'd figured out how much from noting where I had to hold at 25 yds to be on ....a little clean up work with the file, and it shoots just fine...Hank

Seems that Lyman could make a higher rear sight ta fix the issue. If ya could about about 1/16th an inch ta the rear site she'd be almost on at 25 yds.

I'm have'n the same issue with mine, but been hold'n high so fer. I need to finish my string of load before start'n to grind down that front blade.

Spot

Of course it's made too high. If it's too high, you can sight it in by filing it lower, if it's too low, you would have to build metal up. Which is easier?
BTW sight it in for your hunting load, then learn how much to hold off for a light plinking load.

I've built up a front sight by brazing metal on and filing to meet my needs and it's a real P.I.T.A. :bull:

I think Maxiball's got an Idea there,

I might jest braze the rear site to build it up then put a new groove in it. hmmmm.....

Spot

If you read the directions that came with the rifle, unless Lyman has changed them, you will find that the front height is made higher so it CAN be filed down to bring your sights on.
This is no big deal. It should be done at the range while you are shooting from a good sandbagged rest. After it is right use some cold bluing to reblue the metal.
If you should mess up the front sight you can go to the Lyman website and order another one for a couple of bucks.
If you start brazing the rear sight then you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist and you will not be happy with your results.

Back