• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen not closing all the way.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my first flintlock rifle and when I try to close the frizzen with the rifle on half cock the flint keeps it from closing.
Is it normal for the flints to be to long? I even got a pack of flints from the manufactor of the gun and they all touch the frizzen.
I got a Davide Pedersoli Hawken.

You have to cut or punch a hole in the leather where it touches the jaw screw so the flint can sit all the way back against screw. Fairly common to have to do that. Flint should be close to, but not touching the frizzed at half cock.

Sometimes i take the too long fint and grind a notch in the back to clear that screw,,but if its double sides and sharp,i use it in one of my other flintlocks that will clear,Chamber delux locks will use about any flint with no problem ,but i have two that are the old styles so have to modify once in a while

When I got my first flintlock it was a Pedersoli Kentucky. Through experimenting I found that 1/2 flints work best with that lock. My rifle was shipped with a 3/4 flint, so I had that same problem. Don't rely on the manufacturer or distributor shipping the correct size flint.

I have the hole punched but it still touches so I will grind a notch in the back of the flint to try and make it work and next time try with some smaller flints. Thanks for the replies.

ok,its really not just a hole,its a slot,so the screw comes through giving it room also grind the back side ,,i do it a V so the screw fits in that ,you are using leather,to clamp the flint arent you?,not thick saddle skirting but something like deer,elk hide i also have thinner buffalo wich realy grips good try this let me know,mickey

did you try what i told you?? if you are not that far off you may bring this to me some weekend if you like to,i also have a supply of the smaller flints i cannot use,, i boght them by mistake ,they were thirty dolars for 12 of them amber french sparks good but too small for what i use,mickey

At the moment I'm using a piece of lead that came with the rifle but the slot is the size that the screw touches the flint. I will try to remember and take a flint with me to work today and grind a slot. Tomorrow will be my first range day with the rifle.

At the moment I'm using a piece of lead that came with the rifle but the slot is the size that the screw touches the flint. I will try to remember and take a flint with me to work today and grind a slot. Tomorrow will be my first range day with the rifle.
Get rid of the lead and get some thin leather to hold the flint.

@Kevin Stjernberg, A lead wrap will hold the flint, but as the lead is displaced during firing, the flint will loosen and the jaws should be retightened after each shot. Leather will hold the flint in place and compress during firing and rebound to hold the flint securely without the need for constant retightening.

i used the lead at one time,,but i like the leather better,,mickey

Now I have made a notch in the flint with a diamond cut off wheel and it no longer touches the frizzen. And I also found a piece of leather and put it around the flint instead of the lead. Tomorrow I will see how it works at the range. Thanks for all the replies.

I like the leather much better,i have a lot of leather ,i make all kinds of primitive things, so have some on hand,,,pants hunting shirts belts holsters,coats you name it i made it,mickey

Latest posts

Back