• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Friction dangers when handling black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogges

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
When filling my brass priming flask, I cannot help but wonder about the risks involved with friction and black powder.

This is the model I am using: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/83/1/FLASK-PP-FF

The back screws on and off with a fine thread. Some of the fine 4F powder invariably sticks to the treads of the brass, due to static electricity in the dry winter air. When I screw it shut this black powder will be squished between the rotating and sharp brass surfaces of the threads.

Similarly, when using the priming flask, is there not a risk of the valve squishing and compressing black powder kernels while being opened and closed?

I did a search on the internet and on this forum, but while I found that friction is a ignition risk for black powder, there was no mention of screw threads posing a specific danger.

All the black powder containers have screw tops in either metal or plastic. So I am probably being paranoid. But where is the limit of doing something risky when friction is concerned?

Thanks for any voices of experience or pointers to scientific data in advance.
Wolfgang

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think ther is ANY risk... I use that trickle flask too as well as a larger one. Never had even a hint of an issue.

I never say never. :shocked2:
But, what you describe comes as close to never happening as anything I can think of. There have been many tests regarding static electricity sparks and possible bp ignition. Proven over and over, static sparks are too 'cold' to ignite bp. Do some Googling on this and look for tests on You Tube.
Carry on and enjoy.

I been filling brass powder flasks for decades and I am sloppy. I never had a problem. Never heard of a flask or primer horn blowing up from screwing it shut.
I also will not say never, but I highly doubt it.

I have been using plastic flasks at the range for years (dish detergent bottles). I have always understood that static electricity is not hot enough to ignite black powder. 33 years later and yet to blow up.

I tried setting off black powder by placing a small amount on an anvil, and hitting it with a shop hammer, nothing happened after repeated attempts. Now fulminate of mercury, that's a different story.

Swiss doesn't have graphite, and that is what I used.

t.l.a.r. eng said:
I believe black powder has graphite in the mix to prevent clumping and friction.

Perhaps not enough heat is generated by the friction to set off the powder.
Would be interesting to experiment with how much friction and heat is really needed for ignition?

t.l.a.r. eng said:
Perhaps not enough heat is generated by the friction to set off the powder.
There it is ^, squishing a little as you turn a screw or push a valve is far from enough friction to cause heat to the point of ignition.

Try making fire by friction some time, there is some effort involved to make the heat.

It could be that those that blew themselves up can not post! :rotf:

All my black powder shooting days I heard "do not use plastic due to static electricity" now it's being packaged in plastic bottles. I think your OK! Geo. T.

If you are opening a flask gate or turning the screw fast enough to generate 400 degrees F of heat from friction you should slow down.

Brake pads will get red hot from friction, but I bet you can't cause that by hand.

Stumpkiller said:
If you are opening a flask gate or turning the screw fast enough to generate 400 degrees F of heat from friction you should slow down.

:rotf:

like the others said, you are fine.

-matt

Latest posts

Back