• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder flasks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In that I'm mostly a flintlock rifle shooter, I don't often look at powder flasks, but I purchased 2 "just because". Both were purchased at longrifle shows where the vast majority of longrifles on display were originals, and were priced as I would expect on cheap reproductions. The first stuck me odd in that it didn't have a brass head; it was leather covered with a silver looking head that didn't appear to be plated. It is marked James Dixon & Sons Sheffield and graduated 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 drams.

The 2nd purchased is the copper body with brass head. Its marked G & JW Hawksley Sheffield, and graduated 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 drams.
IMG_2010.JPG

The leather is starting to show its age.

Great timing, a chance to use my latest acquisition, The Powder Flask Book by Ray Riling, 1st. ed., 1953.

I found your Hawksley "horse" flask as drawing #67 on page 221 and again as a photo on pages 110 and 1051, on page 387. The value given for this flask at the time was $26 and I would have to assume that was for a mint/new one. I find it to be a very attractive flask and yours has a great patina as well as being in very good condition.

I could not find anything on the leather covered flask other than the James Dixon & Sons marking would make it 1845 or later. Another exceptional piece.

Back