• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Capewells Powder Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This powder flask I obtained a short while ago which I think Maybe some members will recognise It is American made by Capewells Patent Powder Flask patent August 24 th in 1880. It is a large flask with a total length of 11 inches and can extent to 12 , it is capable of throwing a powder charge of 2.1/2 drms to 6 drms, the body is copper or brass and the top looks like white metal with a expanding spout. It does not have a cut of at the top of the body which if for loading a muzzle loader would be more dangerous , My opinion although I may be wrong and the date makes me thing it was for loading brass or paper rifle bullets in the field on a big game hunt . Maybe some member may know its true use.
Feltwad

100_3881.JPG

Open
100_3888.JPG

Closed
100_3887.JPG

Size to Standard Shotgun Flask

100_3890.JPG

Last edited:
With no replies to this thread maybe they are just has rare in the States has they are in the UK.
Feltwad

I am surprised that there is very little interest in this thread especially when the flask is American made :dunno:
Feltwad

This powder flask I obtained a short while ago which I think Maybe some members will recognise It is American made by Capewells Patent Powder Flask patent August 24 th in 1880. It is a large flask with a total length of 11 inches and can extent to 12 , it is capable of throwing a powder charge of 2.1/2 drms to 6 drms, the body is copper or brass and the top looks like white metal with a expanding spout. It does not have a cut of at the top of the body which if for loading a muzzle loader would be more dangerous , My opinion although I may be wrong and the date makes me thing it was for loading brass or paper rifle bullets in the field on a big game hunt . Maybe some member may know its true use.
Feltwad

View attachment 70046
Open
View attachment 70047
Closed
View attachment 70049

View attachment 70050

Yes, that is a shot dispensing head not a powder head.
I have done more research and have accessed Riling's Powder Flask book Page 473 his account is it is a powder flask and used for loading breech loading shotgun cartridges and big game rifle cartridges , this confirms my opinions on the flask
Feltwad

Feltwad, As you read in RILING, he considers that it "properly falls into the category of charger or loader than a powder flask", even though Capewell's patent is for a " charger for powder flasks". For you files, here are the patent claims
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 5.18.16 PM.png

It looks as if the questions have been answered. All very interesting.

I will say I have never seen a powder flask with a charging head like that, and my initial thought was that it looked like the head for a shot flask. However, if it is marked in drams, it was obviously used for powder, and I don't think I've ever seen a shot flask made of metal. The shot would rattle around too much. I did see a shot container made of a cow horn once. It was made like a powder horn, but had a charging head similar to the one on the Capewell flask except it was not adjustable. I believe this shot horn, including the charging head, was made by a talented mid-twentieth century blackpowder enthusiast, so it would probably not be considered a genuine antique.

I have never doubted that powder flasks were used for cartridges and shotgun shells for breechloaders, but I did not know there were flasks intentionally made for that purpose.

Thank you, Feltwad, for introducing the topic and showing this interesting flask.

Notchy Bob

Feltwad

View attachment 70046
Open
View attachment 70047
Closed
View attachment 70049

View attachment 70050
Now I know who outbid me.

I've been pondering this flask since I opened the first post, @Feltwad. This is indeed a unique powder flask and measuring head. There are what I see as two cut off gates. There is one on the arm that can be adjusted for the powder dram measure. and the other gate under the thumb piece that cuts off the powder from the measured quantity. This is not what I would call a flash proof cut off gate and there are better ones out there. But the charger head is the design that is on that flask. It will work and by wiping the bore with a damp patch between shots would minimize the possibility of an ember setting off the entire flask. I would still think that I would transfer the charge from the flask to a measure before pouring the measured load down the barrel. Probably too safety obsessed, but to me that's a small cost of one more item of equipment to having a flask explode on me.

This is similar to the English charger head that you have pictured next to your flask. the two cut off gates are the finger or thumb and a gate in the body of the flask.

I have done more research and have accessed Riling's Powder Flask book Page 473 his account is it is a powder flask and used for loading breech loading shotgun cartridges and big game rifle cartridges , this confirms my opinions on the flask
Feltwad
That flask shown in "THE POWDER FLASK" book on page 473 is indeed, exactly like your flask.

Back