• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found several replicas I believe to be real

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Cummins

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I know these are replicas, the Walker is a uberti, the Remington Rattlesnke Im not sure if its Uberti or Pietta, the pepper box is Hoppe, the bayonette gun is CMC, not sure about the flintlock.
DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0036.JPG
DSCF0037.JPG
DSCF0034.JPG
DSCF0039.JPG

It does have the N,so its not real. Do you know anything about the Remington? I know this is a firing weapon it has black powder only on the side of the barrel made in Italy, I figured it was Uberti or Pietta. I believe it is a New England collectors society reproduction, but not sure who made it.

By "real" do you mean able to fire a projectile? If so, they are all "real" except maybe the Napolean arm.

My step dad bought all these as replicas. They were hanging on somebodies wall. Several were obviously non firing but I knew that some were working firearms.

The only gun you show that cannot be fired is the flintlock (if Stumpkiller is correct).

ALL of the other pistols could be fired although the Hoppe's pepperbox and the Classic Arms Cutlass Pistol may be difficult to get ignition.

As you may or may not know, all of these pistols are built to shoot real black powder or one of the synthetic black powders that are available.

Shooting Smokeless Powder of any kind (even if it is colored black as some of them are) will blow your gun up.
Smokeless powder in one of these guns might also blow your hand off while it is exploding.

That said, real black powder or a synthetic black powder like Pyrodex or Seven7seven are safe to shoot in your guns. Although real black powder and the synthetic black powders don't have the pressure of a smokeless powder do not be fooled into thinking these guns are weak or harmless.
The real guns these are reproducing have killed many men over the years.

Have fun with your collection. :)

The Colt has Colts patent and Model USMR on the cylinder, is it a Walker or Dragoon? It does not look like the Dragoons as the loading lever is different. The plaque it was hanging on says Walker Dragoon....???

It's a replica of a 1847 Colt Walker.

The Dragoons were made after the Walker and used a shorter cylinder and a different loading lever.

Just as important, the barrel wedge on the Dragoons is inserted from the left side of the barrel. The gun in the picture has a barrel wedge that is inserted from the right side and only the Walker did this.

Thank you very much Mr Zonie, this was a great find for me and it just kinda fell in my lap. Id only recently purchased the Pietta Navy and really started learning about these BP revolvers when this came along. I had decided the next purchase would be the Walker, how cool, a pistol designed to knock a horse down, and I really like the Remington New Army gun as well athough Im not sure about firing it. I've read that the commemorative is worth a bit more than a new one....

I read somewhere Samual Walker had worked with Sam Colt to develop the Walker saying he wanted a gun that would knock down a horse. Im not sure which site I read it on but Im sure whoever wrote it was not there, just thought it made sense.

Check the loading lever. If it has a simple detente spring near the rear hinge point to hold the lever in place, it's a Walker. If it has a catch release at the front (muzzle end) that was an improvement the Dragoon offered to keep the lever from dropping during firing and jamming the cylinder.

Brushhippie said:
I read somewhere Samual Walker had worked with Sam Colt to develop the Walker saying he wanted a gun that would knock down a horse.
I don't think this author is saying that's why is was designed, but rather that it would do the job.

An excerpt from "Close-Quarter Battle: Handguns Still Rule"

By R.J. Thomas

When Sam Colt invented his revolving cylinder handgun 167 years ago in 1836, he revolutionized hand-to-hand combat in a manner that continues to this day with direct implications for U.S. troops preparing for combat against al Qaeda terrorists and Iraq.

Throughout the years since Colt's patent for the revolving-cylinder handgun, the U.S. military has viewed the handgun as both an offensive and defensive weapon. From the mid-1800s up through World War I, the handgun was viewed as the ultimate choice for close-quarter battle (particularly by the cavalry) over the saber and bayonet.

The original Colt Single-Action Army-chambered in 45 U.S. Army, varied slightly in loadings, but basically provided a 250-grain lead round-nose projectile, propelled by black powder to about 800 feet per second (fps). The performance of this original black-powder cartridge evolved out of the large-frame .44 cap-and-ball percussion pistols designed by Colt for the U.S. Army cavalry. The cavalry needed a gun that would knock down either a man or his horse, and the Walker .44 and later the S.A. A. 45 performed admirably in that capacity.

Agreed, Im sure you're right. Not a historian, a student always, learning more every day. It is a hand cannon for whatever reason, fired it today with 40 gr of powder.....WOW! Please excuse my ignorance and thanks to all for the info! I am quite smitten....

Brushhippie said:
Agreed, Im sure you're right. Not a historian, a student always, learning more every day. It is a hand cannon for whatever reason, fired it today with 40 gr of powder.....WOW! Please excuse my ignorance and thanks to all for the info! I am quite smitten....
Please, no apologies. We're all hear trying to learn and share. I had to do some searching to find that reference and I learned a few things in the process. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Back