• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found an old hurt CANNON

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
cannon.jpg
dug up an old toy cannon, someone might have got hurt with this one.
cannon1.jpg

No bones it is a brass cannon, thought it was a gun first. This is the back of the cannon, about 10 inches long. Can't find a name. Civil War style???
cannon2.jpg

Kind of strange to blow out in front of the trunions, no? Must have been short started.

By the way, where you digin'? I wish I pulled things like that from the ground around my place!
Oh yeah, how big is the pipe? There's nothing to judge the scale.

The next question is; how do we fix this.
My suggestion would be to cut the barrel off right in front of the heavy part of the trunnions, and then back bore and internally thread the back piece to receive a newly made front barrel part.

I is just to small, about 12inches long, wish it was a full size gun. But beggars can't be choosy.
as to repair, yes that would be nice if it was a large gun. Cannon hole size seems around a 22 cal size. Where do I dig? My yard was the 1st old blacksmith shop of Meridian, Tx in the 1850's. Behind the house the back yard is a spring were they watered the horses of the shop stables. I am finding buggy-wagon parts, horseshoes, old blacksmith tools, barbwire, all kinds of iron junk. Most of it is now hanging on my bunkhouse outside walls. Plus I hunt all over this central Tx area. I got the bug when I was 12 years old. My brother had a old metal detector. He handed it to me at an old fishing pond site to search. The 1st beep beep on the detector was a 18ct.gold Mason ring with a diamond in it. I was a treasure hunter from that day forward. You should see all the JUNK (treasure) around my house!!! Lord Help Me!!

Back